Packable jacket

uptheswa
uptheswa Posts: 71
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking for spring, summer, autumn packable jacket for use when the weather changes or for the times when you have dressed optimistically ! Ideally very breathable, wind resistant with some shower protection. Needs to be under £100 but happy to spend a lot less if still serves the purpose. seems like the Endura FS260 Pro cape gets good reviews but are their better/other alternatives ?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Goretex shakedry. Or the Castelli version. Best packable jacket I've ever had. Breathable and 100% waterproof. Look out for it in the sales.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    La Passione have this available in either gilet or full sleeve version. I don't have one, but I have other things from them and they are very good.

https://www.lapassione.cc/pages/psn-win ... generation

It seems to fit the bill - windproof, shower resistant and light enough to stash.

The jacket comes in at £99, so just under £100! (Although sometimes you need to watch the pricing, as you may loose out due to current exchange rates).
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Just bought endura fs260 II Cape after returning the shakedry. Found the shakedry to be bit big for rear pocket and due to material there is no stretch. The endura one is. Increadibly lightweight, packs up to size of a cricket ball and is suppose be decent rain proof and breathable. Might not be as good as shakedry for long rides on poring rain, but for a jacket to put on when it starts raining when you are out you'd be hard pushed get something better, and at only £65 from Tredz!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Decathlon £20...does the job...folds tiny...why pay more ?
  • domdom1980
    domdom1980 Posts: 79
    I recently picked up a sportful hotpack 5 from Wiggle for £32. It's great, very lightweight, windproof and a good level of water resistance, plus it packs into its own pocket so small enough to stash in a jersey rear pocket.

Got to be careful of sizings though, I had to go up about 3 sizes!
  • Wayne Plunger
    Wayne Plunger Posts: 444
    kingrollo wrote:

I'm with you, I have a 15 euro one from Sportzone (the Portuguese equivalent of Decathlon) and it does what it says on the tin!
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    kingrollo wrote:

Pay for breathability and cut of jacket mainly. If just wanted to keep dry could stick a bin bag on and get on with it
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Just bought endura fs260 II Cape after returning the shakedry. Found the shakedry to be bit big for rear pocket and due to material there is no stretch. The endura one is. Increadibly lightweight, packs up to size of a cricket ball and is suppose be decent rain proof and breathable. Might not be as good as shakedry for long rides on poring rain, but for a jacket to put on when it starts raining when you are out you'd be hard pushed get something better, and at only £65 from Tredz!
    My large size shakedry is smaller than a cricket ball whenin it’s pocket bag.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    edited May 2019
    cougie wrote:
    Goretex shakedry. Or the Castelli version. Best packable jacket I've ever had. Breathable and 100% waterproof. Look out for it in the sales.

I heartily agree with this, have my hi vis version and love it, will probably make me sell a lot of my other kit that will be made redundant, so probably pay for this.

I used it again bh monday on a 67 mile ride, took it off, rolled it up, and posted it into my middle Alpha jersey jacket that also had my mobile in.

I just saw on ebay this morning, 3 apparently brand new Hi Vis shakedry jackets, with a buy it now of £100, and £4 postage.
    I am NOT the seller, and have zero connection to them, but have an alert set up for when I was looking (Still vaguely keeping an eye out for an insulated version or an Oro), and it just popped up in an e-mail.

They are in sizes of Medium, XL, and XXL.

That's about £60 cheaper than I have ever seen the Hi Vis ones - delighted they do not have a small variant, or I would be rather p1ssed :evil:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Halfords have a decent Boarman jacket for about 30. Taped seams etc, I have one and its great