Bottle Cage query

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I have a bit of an issue with the bottle cages on my BMC Teammachine. I fitted a couple of cages that I had kicking about at home when I first bought the bike during the winter. Having started using it more regularly over the last month or so of better weather I have discovered that I can't carry two bottles at once because the cage mounting bolts are so low down the tubes that the bottles foul on each other - it's a 54cm frame so not especially small. One of the cages has now broken (probably due to this issue) and I am now looking to replace them both. I like the look of the Elite Custom cages but ultimately it needs to be a cage with a couple of mounting hole options - I would have thought this would have been standard but none of the cages on my other bikes have these. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Elite custom race cages have multiple mounting slots, if that helps..
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    You could always just drill an extra mounting hole in the cage if necessary? But as mentioned above the Elite ones normally have several.
  • crescent
    Thanks for the replies, pretty much decided on the Elites. I did consider drilling new holes but felt it would weaken the cage too much. They were only cheapies out of Halfords and not great quality to start with to be honest, the frame deserves better :)

Cheers.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    These might be a solution to the bottles clashing when in the cages.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... age-mounts
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • crescent
    redvee wrote:
    These might be a solution to the bottles clashing when in the cages.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... age-mounts

That's exactly what I need. Thanks for that. I'll probably get new bottles anyway but will bear these in mind if there is still a positioning problem. Cheers.