Anyone used SPD-SL to SPD adapters with road bike shoes?

highstream
highstream Posts: 5
edited May 2019 in Workshop
In the process of dealing with a continuing Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL pedal problem, among the alternatives that came up was to use SPD-SL to SPD adapters to switch back to SPD (mountain bike) pedals. Additional weight aside, the advantage is two sided entry. Has anyone here used those adapters with road bike shoes, for better or worse or both? My shoes are the Shimano RP3 (the only ones that fit because of a slightly cocked-up big toe). Thanks,

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Have you tried the Shimano ME3 Mountain Bike equivalent? Seems likely that the underlying design and shape is similar.

And are you sure that the RP3 don't already have the holes for two bolt cleats? The ones here do:
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/c ... ling-shoes

You can get a stabilising adapter to make it easier to walk in road shoes with SPD although my experience is that it isn't vital.
  • highstream
    It seems you are right about the RP3, although the previous model's forefoot upper that I have is the same as the current RP100/RP1 (note toe vents): https://www.rei.com/product/892876/shim ... shoes-mens. The specs on the right say the cleat design is 3-hole, but the description on the left says "Indoor cycling-friendly SPD and SPD-SL cleat compatible." The RP100 says the same thing. That opens up possibilities with their XTR/XT mountain bike pedals, which aren't that much heavier than the 6800. On a previous bike I used Specialized SPD shoes and walking in them wasn't that hard. Thanks.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I don't know if you are in the UK but Halfords boardman MTB pro pedals are exceptional both in lightness and value for money.

I've used them for a couple of years now and have been very satisfied.
  • highstream
    No, in the States
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I use the shimano adapters and they are fine. However, the first thing you should do is pull the rubber bit off and then super glue them back on, because I think shimano must have used cream cheese to attach them and they start peeling off immediately. Once super-glued, they stayed in place.
  • highstream
    Thanks for the info. Fortunately, the matter is moot now.