Which 165 mm cranks?

Wily-Quixote
Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I have a bike fitted with 2x 10 SRAM XO that is a few years old and is fitted with truvative 175mm cranks. I am looking for 165 mm cranks to fit to the bike.

It looks as if I can just get new crankarms to fit - the crankset is not modular, that is there are SRAM cranks fitted to truvativ chainrings, so could I fit any 165mm sram compatible crankarms? I am pretty ignorant of the various standards around mtb BB and cranks and there are a bunch of numbers on the crankarms that seem random to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

165 mm cranks will also increase the gearing. Any ideas what will I need to step my front chainrings down to (I.e. how many less teeth) to effect the same gearing as I currently have which is 39/26 in front?

Tx in advance.

Wily

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    165mm cranks aren't that common and tend to be limited to higher end setups.

Your current BB is what standard? If its GXP then you need to stick to SRAM/Truvative products or buy a new BB to suite the frame. Tell us make and model of bike and actual year and a spec sheet is likley to be available. that or take a photo perhaps? If the BB looks like the one in this thread its a threaded GXP viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13105088

the 6% change in crank length has a minimal gearing effect, most people don't bother trying to accommodate it when changing crank length.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wily-Quixote
    Can't seem to workout how to include a photo from my phone but according the Giant website it is a 2013 Giant XTC advanced SL 1 and it is a SRAM GXP BB - Press Fit - and the crankset is SRAM S1400, 26/39. Doesn't look the photo though - no external bearings.

Looking further into it this is what Sram states:
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/s-1400-crankset
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am after a 165mm crank due to hip arthritis but the market has certainly gone to 1x and 2x cranksets look pretty thin on the ground.

Cheers

Wily
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only the GX1000 from SRAM is 2x and 165 but its BOOST only

I'm not sure (though think it should be possible) if pressfit GXP can have a new NDS bearing to make it HT2 compatible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wily-Quixote
    Thanks for the info.