Time XPro 10 Vs Look Keo Blade 2 CR

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Time to change pedals for me.

I'm really undecided between Time XPro 10 and Look Keo Blade 2 CR.

I can get the former for 110€ and the Blades for 97€. Have week knees so I'm inclined for the Times, but every bit of insight about those 2 systems are very welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Not tempted by Shimano? You can pick up Ultegra pedals for around the same price and they're excellent. I much prefer Shimano's road pedal system to Look (not used Time pedals).
  • naavt
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Not tempted by Shimano? You can pick up Ultegra pedals for around the same price and they're excellent. I much prefer Shimano's road pedal system to Look (not used Time pedals).

Thanks for you reply but it would be a crime to put anything Shimano on my bike :wink:
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    Have XPro 10's on my Giant, they came with fixed cleats which I replaced with the regular floating variety. I don't get a major difference between Xpresso's and these XPro's.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,061
    naavt wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Thanks for you reply but it would be a crime to put anything Shimano on my bike :wink:

^^ LIKE ^^

8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    itboffin wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

^^ LIKE ^^ +1

8)
  • naavt
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    Have XPro 10's on my Giant, they came with fixed cleats which I replaced with the regular floating variety. I don't get a major difference between Xpresso's and these XPro's.

I’ve read somewhere that they don’t have serviceable bearings. Is that true?
  • defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    They don't use bearings but you can (carefully) unscrew the pedal (Xpresso) using a vise or a mole-grip then fill with a suitable grease to top up the bushes that they use. There are adaptions on YouTube with retro-fit bearings into the pedal.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • naavt
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    They don't use bearings but you can (carefully) unscrew the pedal (Xpresso) using a vise or a mole-grip then fill with a suitable grease to top up the bushes that they use. There are adaptions on YouTube with retro-fit bearings into the pedal.

Thanks for the tip!

About float. Are Time pedals really better than Look for week knees? I’ve tried Speedplay but they are a mess to clip in despite the double entry!
  • About float. Are Time pedals really better than Look for week knees? I’ve tried Speedplay but they are a mess to clip in despite the double entry!

I can't comment on whether or not they are better for your knees but IME Time do have more float which I prefer. Have been using time pedals for the last 10 years and currently have the Xpro 10 and they work for me. I did have a brief spell using Look keo but even with the different types of cleats I found they didn't allow for much movement of the foot/ankle which didn't suit me.

Xpro are good pedals though, slightly wider platform than the Xpresso and Iclic and they are very easy to clip in and out of.
  • naavt
    About float. Are Time pedals really better than Look for week knees? I’ve tried Speedplay but they are a mess to clip in despite the double entry!

I can't comment on whether or not they are better for your knees but IME Time do have more float which I prefer. Have been using time pedals for the last 10 years and currently have the Xpro 10 and they work for me. I did have a brief spell using Look keo but even with the different types of cleats I found they didn't allow for much movement of the foot/ankle which didn't suit me.

Xpro are good pedals though, slightly wider platform than the Xpresso and Iclic and they are very easy to clip in and out of.

Thanks. That did it for me. I've just placed an order for the XPro 10s!
  • Apologies for a bit of a tangent, but I've been riding Time xpresso for years and while I love them, the cleats do wear down really quickly. Because of the Q factor, the cleats also have a distinct left and right side. Anyway, because I put the same foot down to start and stop, I wear one 'side' out faster than the other and so have a pristine pile of 'left' cleats (if you use the wider q factor).

Anyone else find this and would like to arrange a swap?!?
  • naavt
    Apologies for a bit of a tangent, but I've been riding Time xpresso for years and while I love them, the cleats do wear down really quickly. Because of the Q factor, the cleats also have a distinct left and right side. Anyway, because I put the same foot down to start and stop, I wear one 'side' out faster than the other and so have a pristine pile of 'left' cleats (if you use the wider q factor).

Anyone else find this and would like to arrange a swap?!?

I do find them odd for walking. When I saw them on the web I’ve supposed that they had tiny rubber feets but they are all plastic. I didn’t try them on slippery floors but I suspect they can be dangerous!

Time%20Cleats.jpg?raw=1