Damaged Braking Surface - Fixable?

-Dash
-Dash Posts: 179
edited May 2019 in Workshop
I've got a front rim that was grabbing the brake like a pulsing when braking. I took it off as it annoyed me though it didn't really seem to make much difference to braking it didn't feel safe.

I couldn't detect the issue for some time until I ran my finger over the braking surface and detected a very slight concaveness to the top half of the braking surface, about an inch wide. It's barely visible.

Is it possible at all to have this bent back out? Is that advisable?

I feel like most bike shops will just try persuade me to buy new wheels.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it was mine I'd probably ignore it and carry on using it, having determined it's just a ding and not the rim disintegrating.

If you're determined to fix it and can get at it from the inside you could try bashing it out again. You'd need to be able to lay the brake track on something flat and hefty like the tail end of a vice. Then have at it with a hammer and something flat like a punch or a very blunt chisel.

Doubt a bike shop would be interested
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    ive got an otherwise very good set of wheels that do this, im using then it seems fine
  • sparquin
    sparquin Posts: 69
    Do just check the thickness and general intact-ness of the rim. It could be fine, but it's very little effort to get the tyre off and take a closer look to be certain.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    Sparquin wrote:
    Do just check the thickness and general intact-ness of the rim. It could be fine, but it's very little effort to get the tyre off and take a closer look to be certain.

This is the thing... From inside the rim I can't even feel any difference so it appears to literally be the braking surface damaged. I feel like if I bashed it from inside the rim (where the tyre bead sits) I could just damage that side too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i have a front that does this. i still use it and its no dramas.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711
    You would probably make things worse. If anything use something like an adjustable spanner over the bead and gently try to lever it back. At the very most you would reduce the pulsing though.