Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

2x11 mech to 1x11 hydro

Ned FlandersNed Flanders Posts: 25
edited May 2019 in Workshop
On my CX/Gravel bike I have 105 5800 with mechanical discs but I want to change the set up to a 1x11 hydraulic.

1. Can I keep any of the bits I have?

2. If not what's a "105 level" of 1x11 (or 1x10) groupset I should be looking at? Apex or Rival 1?

• arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,551
    On my CX/Gravel bike I have 105 5800 with mechanical discs but I want to change the set up to a 1x11 hydraulic.

1. Can I keep any of the bits I have?

2. If not what's a "105 level" of 1x11 (or 1x10) groupset I should be looking at? Apex or Rival 1?

I suppose it could be possible to mash up your existing 105 5800 but there would be precious little left to convert to a 1 x 11 hydraulic. The only surviving bits could be the compact chainset if you fitted say a 40T chainring and left the other in place but not in use. The shifter/brakes would have to go, the FD also obviously and also the cassette.

For a 1 x set up you would want at least an 11-36 or preferably 11-40 to give you a wide enough range for your gravel/off-road excursions. You might get away with the GS (medium cage) RD with the 11-36 but to run an 11-40 you would need a wolftooth or perhaps a new MTB type rear derailleur.

Your best bet might be to strip and sell off the 105 5800 and invest in an Apex or Rival 1 x groupset. I think the 105 equivalent is Rival with Apex being Tiagra equivalent and Force/ Red being Ultegra/Dura Ace level.

Not a cheap option as the Rival hydraulic groupset retails at around £650
  • OK thanks it sounds like I'll be starting from scratch.

Might wait to see what the Shimano GRX brings in the summer.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    The Giant Conduct brake system is probably the cheapest way to get what you want.

Otherwise yeah, some new GRX levers and calipers in a couple of months time.
  • janwaljanwal Posts: 487
    Check out eBay or Gumtree for secondhand Boardman cx team with the Sram Rival 1x groupset on ( have a 44 front and 11-42 rear. Buy a 42 or 40 front if you need lower gearing). Usually a few hardly used ones on there. Strip it down and sell frameset etc to Recover some costs. I have the 1x on two bikes now and they are superb.
  • janwal wrote:
    Check out eBay or Gumtree for secondhand Boardman cx team with the Sram Rival 1x groupset on ( have a 44 front and 11-42 rear. Buy a 42 or 40 front if you need lower gearing). Usually a few hardly used ones on there. Strip it down and sell frameset etc to Recover some costs. I have the 1x on two bikes now and they are superb.
    I'm pretty sure they're all mechanical
  • janwaljanwal Posts: 487
    Ned,the newer Boardman cx team,red and black ones are sram Rival HYDRAULIC disc brakes. In fact the groupset is Rival apart from the cranks which are a lesser level. Mine is now on a Bianchi I just had to buy a different crank as bottom bracket was different.
  • erksimsekerksimsek Posts: 18
    You also have to make sure you can install a hose for the rear brake. If the bike has internal cabling for the rear derailleur that does not allow a full cable or braze ons that do not take the full cable, you would have to run the hose outside. Wouldn't look nice at all.