Dry vs. wet lube

2»

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Using Roc n Roll absolute dry here. Not sure how "dry" it is compared to others, but keeps the chain pretty clean. I lube and wipe the chain down every couple of rides.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Preference here seems to be in favour of a 'clean' chain, rather than a 'lubed' chain...
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    That way the cassette never needs replacing.

Really? Never is a long time mind. The general view such as it is is to replace the cassette every 3 chains, some go a lot longer though.

Also that is an incredible faff. I use Squirt wax lube and I just get chain completely clean before applying initial application - remove from bike, clean in kerosene - wash in water/washing up liquid - rinse and dry. Then apply two lots of Squirt allowing to dry inbetween. Then for subsequent applications which for a dry ride is around 150-200miles, just wipe chain with rag and put a single drop on each link. That's it. Only have to remove chain from bike and degrease etc once and once only before the very first use of Squirt.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161

Also that is an incredible faff.

Ye reckon?

I'm not trying to be smart....... I never expected a cassette to last so long let alone a chain, it's not the reason why I started waxing the chain. Regular maintenance with commuting was driving me mad. I used pretty much the same ritual as yourself cleaning the chain in Morgan blue, rinsing, drying and squirt. Worked fine in dry weather but from autumn to spring it wasn't sufficient.

I now put the chain in a jar of petrol and shake it about for a minute then hang it up until the petrol evaporates then dip it in hot wax-parrafin oil mixture for 10 min, take it out and wipe it down. In the winter months I leave the excess wax on the outside for extra protection against salty roads.

I stumbled across this method and started using it because I was getting slightly lazy regarding maintenance and wanted something that worked but took less effort and that it certainly does. If I wasnt commuting at the time I would only be riding in predominantly dry weather and the squirt would've done the job!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • surfercyclist
    Well in fairness I only ride in the dry, if it's raining it's the turbo so Squirt is fine for me. The video looked a faff, although I suppose I enjoy a spot of fettling so often while away an hour or so on other stuff so can't really say too much...
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    The video looked a faff

Don't knock it until you've tried it!!!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    neilr4 wrote:
    The video looked a faff

Don't knock it until you've tried it!!!

Looks a faff to me as well. I also commute 5 days a week and just give it the old bucket and sponge at weekends. Wipe the chain down with a rag and WD40 and use whatever lube's lying about. I have no issues with the drivetrain
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

Really? Never is a long time mind. The general view such as it is is to replace the cassette every 3 chains, some go a lot longer though.

Also that is an incredible faff. I use Squirt wax lube and I just get chain completely clean before applying initial application - remove from bike, clean in kerosene - wash in water/washing up liquid - rinse and dry. Then apply two lots of Squirt allowing to dry inbetween. Then for subsequent applications which for a dry ride is around 150-200miles, just wipe chain with rag and put a single drop on each link. That's it. Only have to remove chain from bike and degrease etc once and once only before the very first use of Squirt.

Kerosene right......

Why not avtur or nuclear waste
  • surfercyclist

Kerosene right......

Kerosene IS Avtur, aka Jet A1 which is used in aircraft for fuel. I work in an oil refinery so I know... :wink:
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975

Kerosene right......

Kerosene IS Avtur, aka Jet A1 which is used in aircraft for fuel. I work in an oil refinery so I know... :wink:

Haha well spotted.

I’d avoid the nuclear waste though