Garmin or Wahoo

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I’m embarrassed to admit but, I’ve never owned a cycle computer and I think the time has now come :lol:

I think it’s between a Garmin Edge 530 or the Wahoo Elemnt Roam, but which one ?

Any recommendations greatly received.

Comments

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    I think, feature wise, the new Garmin looks a little better.

But I went from Garmin to Wahoo (520 to Elemnt Bolt) a couple of years ago because I was too frustrated with the Garmin unit regularly packing up during rides. Garmins are great, when they work. The Wahoo has always been spot on for me.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Until last Month I'd have said a Wahoo Elemnt or Bolt.

Now if the Edge 530 works as advertised and as per DC Rainmaker's review, then it's slightly ahead of the latest Wahoo release, which doesn't seem to have added much.

But I'm waiting to see what regular users of each actually say once they've been using them for a while.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The ELEMNT series from Wahoo have been excellent. Simple to set up and operate. Garmin on the other hand are notorious for producing great units that go wrong within months due to updates with the firmware. Who's to say that the 530 will be any different? Hopefully the acquisition of TACX will see things change, but I know I wouldn't rush out and buy another Garmin Edge unit until at least 6 months of reviews are in.

The ROAM promises to do everything current units do with some additional features coming later. These same features will be added to the older units according to reports. The argument against the ROAM seems to be that it doesn't look or function like a Garmin. That's a godsend for some of us tired of the failings of Garmin units.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    TBH I think the biggest criticism of the Roam is the asking price. I am very wary of Garmin though given my experience with the older Edge Touring, hence my wait and see strategy.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Garmin suck
    Wahoo aren't so bad
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    I’ve had the Bolt and now got the Edge 820... both great but the Bolt was too dull against the colour of the 820.
    I’m waiting,and have been for what seems forever for the next Stages Dash models... bit bigger as my eyesight gets worse!!!
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I moved from Garmin to Wahoo, if I was buying right now I would go Elmnt Bolt, if I was willing to wait a couple of months I would check feedback from early 530 users and then decide.
  • isotonik
    isotonik Posts: 50
    Garmin are crappy touchscreen, dont get me started on that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    isotonik wrote:
    Garmin are crappy touchscreen, dont get me started on that.
    Other than agreeing 100% about touchscreens, the 530 isn't.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • keef66
    Although quite annoying, the touchscreen is not the worst thing about the Touring...
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    I have the Bolt and it's great. The new Wahoo Roam looks interesting, better nav screen etc but I rarely use mapping so not an issue.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I’ve had the Bolt and now got the Edge 820... both great but the Bolt was too dull against the colour of the 820.
    I’m waiting,and have been for what seems forever for the next Stages Dash models... bit bigger as my eyesight gets worse!!!

Dull?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I moved from Garmin (800) to Wahoo (Elemnt) in January.

I think the Wahoo is better but I haven't used it a lot yet. It handles route planning better altho' the 800 is not wireless so part of the improvement may have been available with the 820.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    My only issues with the 820 have been the screen could be a little bigger when mapping, and it takes a long time to initialise a course to follow. Touchscreen has been ok except for when wearing full finger gloves.

Sounds like those have both been addressed. They aren't bothersome enough for me to upgrade though.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Maybe worth pointing out that Cycle Republic have got an offer at the moment on the 820 Edge, £157 which isn't as cheap as the £141 I bought mine for a month ago but a bargain in my opinion. I really like mine so far, really good little device. I have only used the mapping to find my way back to the start of a ride but that was quick and accurate and the screen is fine.

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/garmin-edge-820-gps-cycle-computer.html
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    I've owned both and personally I don't think there is much in it. Pick the one you like the look of most
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX