Aliexpress Claris r2000 groupset

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,154
    It's what gets specced on £3-500 bikes. Functional and way better than Tourney but heavy and only 8 speed.

The £70ish price for the shifters and mechs is way cheaper than you'd be able to get in the UK for those components; however that is largely because few people buy a Claris groupset on its own so you don't get the sort of discounting you get on TIagra/105 etc. You'd still have to get chainset, bottom bracket, chain, brakes, cables, wait a month for delivery, and then you'd still have the same groupset as you'd get on a £375 Carrera Vanquish. I wouldn't touch it personally; if I needed something that cheap then second hand has got to be a better option.
  • Moonbiker
    I don't care about being 8 speed actually prefer it as casettes are cheaper & ligher chains are cheaper and last better than 10 speed ones etc... Wanted some feedback on shifting feel performance of the STI's compared to say 4700 or 5800 etc.

I have multiples of all of of other stuff lying about older ultegra lvl stuff so no need to buy any other bits.

As for weight I am interested but hard to find the details. Don't think STI and 2 mechs will add alot of weight over other groupsets

Anyone got STI r2000 weight info?

Front mech braze on is 96g
    Rear mech SS 268g
    STI can't find info.?

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=147665

Has older weights^

I'd prefer downtube shifters but no bosses on frame, have bar ends on the frame atm and don't like them much hence cosiderring STI.

I'd just get the STI alone and keep existing mechs but not sure of compatibility with cable pull ratios with older mechs.

Second hand STI not worth the hassle imo , want concealed cables, also second hand they are way over priced as they often develop faults wear out etc.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    it might be cheap, but is it legit? Might be buying utter garbage
  • Moonbiker
    Yeah was wondering about that also.

Reviews seem legit though
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,154
    There are lots of fakes on Aliexpress but this is unlikely to be because, let's face it if you were going to fake Shimano you'd fake Dura Ace or Ultegra not Claris. The prices are cheap but not that cheap bearing in mind the % of the price of a £300 bike that would be shitfers & mechs etc.

I've bought lots of bits on Aliexpress in the past, mainly electronics. You do it knowing its going to take a long time to show up, and that if it doesn't do what you need it to, or it breaks, there is no effective returns or warranty.

Bearing in mind you're not sure on the cross compatibility with existing parts you have, you need to consider that there is a decent chance that you end up spending £50 on something you're unable to use and can't send back. You could probably sell on if the worst comes to the worst, but that's hassle. I'd probably seek to minimise risk by going for the mini groupset in the link you posted, because then I'd know the pull ratios are right and the shifting will be fine, and its only £20 extra.
  • bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    I've bought fake derailleurs on aliexpress at about £6 delivered. They are Acera branded and seem very good quality, if there is a difference I don't care about it.

I was going to put a link here but the item and the whole shop has been removed from aliexpress.

Mine is Acera but this is an Altus one that doesn't look quite as nice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M370-Cy ... 62205.html?

I guess the clue is the branding is shown in the images but no branding at all is used in the listing itself. I've heard of people getting such derailleurs with no branding on when they received it. It could be that Shimano sub-contract manufacture to China and that same factory sells some of the product out of the side door so to speak and while normally meant to be sold in China itself a few people sell them through aliexpress. This is surprisingly common in China as keeping an eye on a factory and what they are doing all the time is difficult. Often because they monitor component shipments the fake items might have to substitute certain components not necessarily lower quality but could be but they have to be sourced from a factory not monitored by the product brand company in order to create backdoor/sidedoor products to make extra money.

Looking at that advert it probably is genuine although the Claris branding on the front derailleur is just a cheap sticker but that might be true of the normal claris. I would check the supplier is going to mark it as $20 for shipping though or you could be hit with a lot of import duty.

Claris is a very good groupset that works as well as the groupset above it if not better but of course it doesn't work to such tight tolerances as it is for 8 speed cassettes not 9 speed. I my opinion Claris is all most people need unless the larger jump between gears is not acceptable to you. I really don't care about the difference between 8 and 9 or 9 and 10 and 8 speed has slightly heavier but long lasting components. Cheapest Claris road bike I can think of is the Carrera Virtuoso which is a great value bike with strong aluminium frame and steel forks and there is a video on youtube of someone who toured with that bike across Thailand I think with no issues, an exceptionally solid and reliable bike which I think he paid £225 for although current price is £325 I think. Might be worth checking out those videos because he totally abused that bike. Looks like it is still going and the Claris drivetrain is still there but I've not watched the video and perhaps in the detail he has replaced some components now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC9dKzJ4no