Mavic Yksion tubeless

gary_sparrow
gary_sparrow Posts: 181
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Was going to get a set of mavic ksyrium UST with the tyres etc but looking at the reviews here of the tyres I’m not so sure . Ive heard there is 2 types floating around of these . Can anyone shed some light on that ? Some are made by Hutchinson and others not

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-yksion-p ... road-tyre/

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The UST Tubeless tyres are made by Hutchinson and most people seem to rate them highly although I've heard that they aren't the greatest when it comes to puncture resistance, that should be where the sealent comes in.

The standard clincher, non tubeless tyres are the ones regarded by most to be bobbins.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    From what I have learnt on this forum there are Yksion PRO UST that are made by Hutchinson in france that are good tyres.
    They get good reviews on the Bike tyre rolling resistance site. I have some set up tubeless . I have only done about 500 miles but no problems.I like them.
    All the other Mavic tyres such as Yksion PRO Powergrip etc. are made in the far east and do not have a good reputation.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Had them in my new wheels, punctured. each time of first two rides. Bad luck? Maybe, but got them changed and not had any since
  • Had a pair set up on my Ksyriums for about 3 months now. No punctures so far and have found it to be a good all round tire for everyday training.
  • gary_sparrow
    Had a pair set up on my Ksyriums for about 3 months now. No punctures so far and have found it to be a good all round tire for everyday training.

What kind of pressure do you run? Do they wear quickly and what’s the comfort like ?
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    I’ve been running with these tyres for a year on two sets of Kysrium wheels. One winter one summer. Many thousands of miles say 9 or 10,000. Had two punctures that the sealant failed to seal. I replaced the tyres rather than attempting a repair. Fortunately both times I discovered the issue at home or very close to home.

So I reckon they are pretty good. Will probably put on a fresh pair for going to the alps in June.

Pressures I run 80 rear 70 front on 25mm tyres.
  • What kind of pressure do you run? Do they wear quickly and what’s the comfort like ?

85psi front and rear (I'm 59kg). Done 3500km so far and the tires are showing minimal wear and no major nicks or cuts I can see. Comfort is very good (and noticeably better than others I own), but that is perhaps down to the overall wheel/tire combo as the ksyrium are not super stiff but I prefer that, the roads round by me are bad and I would rather the extra comfort for an everyday wheel. In the short space of time I have had them I have really enjoyed riding them, the tire and the wheels.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I’m 2 months into using Yksion Pro UST tyres on a set of Ksyrium elite wheels.
    I’ve used Michelin and Schwalbe in the past but the Yksion are performing ok at the moment and I see no reason to change.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • gary_sparrow
    I’m 2 months into using Yksion Pro UST tyres on a set of Ksyrium elite wheels.
    I’ve used Michelin and Schwalbe in the past but the Yksion are performing ok at the moment and I see no reason to change.

I’ve a 2015 supersix and tempted to try the 28mm on it ..From what I’ve read they are narrow compared to schwalbe Michelin Continental etc