Canyon BB Swap

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited May 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I suspect it's time for a new BB on my Canyon Yellowstone AL 6.9 (2013).

Easy enough to do?

Do I just need one of these?
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom ... tool-bbt-9

What should I replace it with?

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not familiar with your bike. It all depends on what type of bottom bracket and crankset you have. That tool will do older, threaded, external BB cups like Shimano Hollowtech2. So if that's what you have then yes.

If the existing BB has lasted 6 years then stick another of those in. Shimano are pretty much interchangeable.

Note the newer BBs which came out with the 11 speed groupsets have a smaller outer diameter so need a different tool or an adapter to work with the one you linked
  • geomickb
    I don't think it's the original.

It looks like this:

https://ibb.co/q1gQz20

It is 2x10 speed.
  • keef66
    Looks more like SRAM than Shimano. Any writing on it if you hose off the mud?

Be helpful to know what chainset you have. That too looks more like SRAM than Shimano
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The original cranks were SRAM S1000 which would mean you need a GXP BB if they are still on there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • geomickb
    The crank arms say SRAM GXP (I think they are original).

Is that the correct tool then?

What should I replace it with?

Is this pretty much how I do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJd-oO__qQ

Cheers,

Mick
  • The Rookie
    Yes, that’s the correct tool, and yes that’s how to do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • geomickb
    Cheers, I will get the tool, take it off, then visit the LBS for a replacement.
  • The Rookie
    If your doing the work yourself why pay LBS prices for the part?
  • geomickb
    Two reasons to use my LBS:

1. I like to take the old part in so they can then ensure that I get exactly the correct replacement.

2. I try to support them whenever possible because I would like them to stay in business.

Mick
  • keef66
    Why not take the bike to them and get them to replace the BB then?
  • geomickb
    2 reasons not to get the work done at my LBS:

1, If I try and book it in, I will get told "yes we can do that two weeks on Tuesday" and I will have to somehow get my bike over to them and then collect it.

2, I do like to try some maintenance, otherwise I will be continually taking bikes into the shop. We do only currently have 3 bikes but this number does fluctuate. It looks like a simple job that I can and should be doing myself.

Bye
  • keef66
    I didn't take our bikes to the LBS for any servicing / repairs, preferring instead to do all my own spannering. They went bust a while ago... Luckily I now know how to do all my own spannering.

It is a simple DIY job. Do it with the bike on the floor. Make sure the tool is properly engaged. Make sure you're turning it the right way. Push down rather than pulling up.

And apply a bit of antiseize to the threads of the new BB if one day you'll need to remove it again
  • geomickb
    I'm failing at the first hurdle, I can't turn the Allen bolt.

I have left it with some dismantling spray soaking into it.

I don't think it's left hand thread is it?
  • geomickb
    OK, it came out but the thread looks a mess. I'm going to get my mechanic to take a look,

:-(
  • keef66
    Bummer :(

Was it just stiff to undo or did it feel like it was mangling threads in the process?

Is this the first time you've taken it off? Do you think the last owner buggered it up but neglected to tell you?

I'm guessing it's new chainset time if the threads can't be rescued...
  • geomickb
    I think it was just stiff but I found some bits of metal from the thread when I cleaned it out.

I guess it could of been mangled last time it was swapped but doesn't really matter.

Dropping it off for mechanic tonight, hopefully he will be able to tap the thread.

Fingers crossed.
  • geomickb
    It's fixed! Collecting tonight. :-)