fitness tracker/watch or bike computer

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

I'm looking for the cheapest tracker/watch ideally that will do the following;

Mainly use for bike to exercise/fun/leisure/transport/social but bit of jogging and swimming maybe a bit more gym/resistance/swimming.

Ant+ communication - I have an Ant+ chest heart rate monitor only Ant+ to connect to the tracker/watch (or would it be cheaper to replace with bluetooth?) would also get a cadence speed sensor for bike too.

Heart rate zone training, alert me if too fast/slow for fat burning or to help follow a training plan based on heart rates - I don't want go to expense of (pedal) watts.

Smart notifications - display texts or alert to incoming calls but also to alert to upcoming turns say if following a route on Komoot on my phone, flash up with left or right turn rather than relying on audio as I currently do.

Activity tracker

Whats the best option? I don't want spend £600 on a Garmin forerunner and would prefer something more versatile then an Edge 530 ie on me rather than just on bike and cheaper, around £150 and paired to phone so won't need GPS/mapping on the device, as long as it will alert me to the change in direction.

Thanks
Andy

Comments

• lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Not sure anything like this exists for that price. You might be able to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 735XT or Fenix 3 second hand for around that price. I picked up a Fenix 3 for not much more about a year ago on fleabay, and it is really good for cycling, running and swimming (both indoor and OW). Not sure about the navigation though, as I have never used it, but I think it can do turn by turn if you pre-load a route.
  • guy.spartacus
    guy.spartacus Posts: 321
    Garmin Vivoactive 3
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Not sure anything like this exists for that price. You might be able to pick up a Garmin Forerunner 735XT or Fenix 3 second hand for around that price. I picked up a Fenix 3 for not much more about a year ago on fleabay, and it is really good for cycling, running and swimming (both indoor and OW). Not sure about the navigation though, as I have never used it, but I think it can do turn by turn if you pre-load a route.

For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Fenix ... Sw17hcwj0E

Which even comes with a HR strap included!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I have a Forerunner 235 which you can now find new for £160ish, does everything you have asked for. You can also strap it to your bars (if you use a HR strap) and use breadcrumb navigation if you want
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,031
    https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-meg ... 15033.html for £150, latest Lezyne generation

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-co ... 46427.html £100, last Lezyne generation, navigation seems to work ok again after firmware updates, after being rubbish through most of last year.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    Could look at something like the Forerunner 35 - can be picked up at about £109 or thereabouts from Decathlon and other shops like John Lewis and will work with ANT and bluetooth. I understand that it can work with cadence etc but have no personal knowledge. I have the forerunner 30 and am really enjoying using it.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Thanks, I'm going to have to do some research.

I would like a watch anyway, having lost my Casio one with its count down counter with vibration alarm for Rugby reffing. Or do I carry on just using my phone.

The notification and navigation without the need of earphones/audio from jacket pocket as can't always hear it and no phone mount.

Just need to see what teatures I want/need/can get for the best value.