DT Swiss P1800 Disc?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,664
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
On the lookout for some new wheels. Been recommended these DT Swiss p1800s

Anyone care to comment or suggest alternatives? Commuter/winter bike mainly.

Ta

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• photonic69
    Wow - ask about some DT Swiss wheels and zilch!

Someone asks about climbing wheels and World War III breaks out!!

Funny old world!

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Presumably you need 12mm thru axle front and rear?

The DT look fine to me, I can also recommend Superstar wheels - bought a set back in the autumn because it was cheaper than me getting the parts and building myself, and was very pleasantly surprised with the build quality.

These wheels are pretty similar to the DT : https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... lset-x.htm

24 spoke front and rear straight pull hubs, you will need to track down some adapters for the hubs to use with thru axles though.

Given they are for commuter/winter duty you might want to look at the heavier duty options with 32 spokes, unless you're on the lighter side - also you might want to hold fire for their next sales as they frequently run 33% off promotions (and more).
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    On the lookout for some new wheels. Been recommended these DT Swiss p1800s

Anyone care to comment or suggest alternatives? Commuter/winter bike mainly.

Ta

Just sold off some DT Swiss P1750's that came as standard fare on my Rose X-Lite 4. I think these could be the OEM equivalent of the P1800's. These were the rim brake incarnations BTW. Rode them for about 100 miles before deciding to stick with my Archetype/Miche handbuilts from my previous build.

No real issues with them apart from the fact that the freehub is really loud. Had some Hope Pro4 hubbed wheels in the past and I thought they were loud but the DT Swiss outperformed them in the decibel stakes. All right for some folks but a bit of an irritant for me. Also the P1750's were 20/24 spokes front/rear. I tip the scales at close to 90kg so there was also a nagging doubt about longevity with my weight and the state of the roads where I ride.
  • photonic69
    Thanks for the feedback about the noise! I hadn't thought of that.

Superstar wheels look good. Not too much of a weight problem (74kgs) but would opt for a higher spoke count due to the condition of the local roads!

Many thanks.

• photonic69
    Well got the DT Swiss wheels at a price I couldn't refuse. They are lovely. Very round. Very clicky clicky.

Love the fact they are fully serviceable including the Freehub.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Well got the DT Swiss wheels at a price I couldn't refuse. They are lovely. Very round. Very clicky clicky.

Ive never had a set of DT Swiss wheels I haven't been happy with
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Ive never had a set of DT Swiss wheels I haven't been happy with

I can’t get mine to run as freely as the Shimano ones or the zips, the freehub seems to slow everything/ drag when it’s in the stand. I can’t make my mind up if this is an issue in the real world or not.