Marathon runners called fat and slow.

1235»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    I haven't read the London Marathon entry T&Cs,

Maybe you should have as well as some of the early posts as it was clearly explained that the runners who were abused were well within the official cutoff time and that they were running with a pacer supplied by the organisers. Personally I feel the cutoff time is too high but that's for the organisers to decide and anyone involved in assisting on the event either paid or volunteer should accept that they have to be there for the agreed time.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It's a mass participation event over a specified distance. There is a lucrative race at the front which 1 person wins. Everybody else is a different version of 'not the winner'. If you're inside the organisers cut-offs, you're a finisher. If you don't agree with the cut-offs, lobby the organiser.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I read that the pacer running at 7.5 hour pace wasn't the only one to get abuse and be among the cleanup crew. Apparently she reported that a colleague was pacing at 6 hour pace and was also experiencing water stations being packed up or already packed up and the clean up crew in position to go.

If true then the organisers had a big problem. They set the cutoff then their crews ignored it. Did they all know the cutoff had been increased to 8 hours with 7.5 hours for the start of packing up?

So the humble brag guy is just ill informed and doesn't realise they were inside the cutoff.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    So the humble brag guy is just ill informed and doesn't realise they were inside the cutoff.

But was happy to show off his ignorance and have a rant anyway.
  • tangled_metal
    Pross wrote:

But was happy to show off his ignorance and have a rant anyway.
    It was a good humble brag though. I do like the opportunity to use the phrase humble brag when appropriate. :D
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Ha! Not really my aim to humblebrag, but some background on my running to show that I'm some way involved with it - not just weighing in where I have no business to hahaha.

Like I said - abuse of the runners is wholly unacceptable at any rate. I personally didn't bother to read the T&Cs, but I did happen to see some folks on social media bleating about it. It seemed to be that they were over the organised times - in my opinion, that's fair game to pack up.

Not sure about the water stations getting closed prior to finishing cut offs though. Miscommunication between the event organisers, maybe? Were they fully closing, or just reducing since the foot traffic will be greatly reduced after X hour?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    rightful abuse and entertainment for the marshalls and event staff. Fair dos I say
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    but I did happen to see some folks on social media bleating about it. It seemed to be that they were over the organised times - in my opinion, that's fair game to pack up.

So you read some stuff on social media and decided that was good enough to post a bunch of ill informed
    humble bragging here instead :roll:

They were well within the organised time cutoff because they were being paced by an official race provided guide runner who was pacing them to the finish. How difficult is that part to understand?

It just seems blindingly obvious to me the clean up crews were operating to their, weve always started at this time process,whilst not knowing/realising or plain ignoring the organisers instructions that they'd extended the cut off time by a significant amount this year
  • tangled_metal
    RTW-Chaz wrote:
    Ha! Not really my aim to humblebrag, but some background on my running to show that I'm some way involved with it - not just weighing in where I have no business to hahaha.

Like I said - abuse of the runners is wholly unacceptable at any rate. I personally didn't bother to read the T&Cs, but I did happen to see some folks on social media bleating about it. It seemed to be that they were over the organised times - in my opinion, that's fair game to pack up.

Not sure about the water stations getting closed prior to finishing cut offs though. Miscommunication between the event organisers, maybe? Were they fully closing, or just reducing since the foot traffic will be greatly reduced after X hour?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48125731

The link in the post that started this thread. A BBC news story about the official London marathon pacer complaining to a TV news programme about the issue. Slightly better source than social media bleating of possibly runners like you. One of the photographs showed the pacer with a disabled marathon entrant in the background. Some looked like they were trying to run, others were definitely walking. But that's all irrelevant because they're with a 7.5 hour official pacer.