Baselayers, am I missing out?

drhaggis
drhaggis Posts: 1,150
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
I currently cycle with Decathlon's aerofit short sleeve baselayer most of the days (not the same!), with a L/S dhb merino base layer being used in the winter. I've been looking into a windproof baselayer, to complement the not-so-thick s/s jerseys to use them with arm warmers and maybe a gillet. Hopefully this will make my Gabba rest a bit. But I see prosecco here, fancy things there, and I wonder, am I missing out for not getting a fancier base? What would a nice base give me on a day in the mid-teens or in the low twenties?

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    In my experience it is breathability that is lost in some of the cheaper garments. I have a few base layers from Trespass and CriVit (Lidl purchase) and both feel decent quality and keep me warm. They cost about a tenner each but the problem is they also cause me to get a bit sweaty. I have a couple of more expensive items from Sportful and UnderArmour and they keep me as warm but definitely wick away sweat more efficiently.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,116
    for those temperatures get a mesh baselayer, by far the best: they provide some insulation, reduce contact chill, and allow sweat to escape fast

a windproof baselayer will trap sweat next to the skin, that's not pleasant

if it's cool enough to need anything windproof use a gilet on top
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    sungod wrote:
    for those temperatures get a mesh baselayer, by far the best: they provide some insulation, reduce contact chill, and allow sweat to escape fast

a windproof baselayer will trap sweat next to the skin, that's not pleasant

if it's cool enough to need anything windproof use a gilet on top

I'm a big fan of the mesh ones, having only started using them in the last year or so.
    I have a Rapha one, and one each from Castelli, Ale, and Morvelo - the latter probably gets the most use for no specific reason, but they all seem pretty much of a muchness in terms of effectiveness in my opinion.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • https://galibier.cc/product/its-all-abo ... ble-layer/

I'm a bit like a stuck record with this, but for those colder days I can't recommend this Galiber windproof layer highly enough.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have a Craft s/s baselayer with a windproof panel on the front. It does work, but as has been said, can get a bit sweaty when the temperatures rise. I think the better solution for windproofing is a gilet, as you can take it off and stash it if it warms up.
    I would echo the recommendations for a light mesh b/l in the warmer months, helps take the moisture away but retains a bit of warmth. In full-on summer, I would just rely on the wicking properties of a decent cycling jersey. A lot of my riding is commuting, so a thin b/l (and maybe arm warmers)for the cooler mornings (6am) and ditch it for the commute home.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,031
    The sleeveless ones at PX are decent, can be had for £5 each if you buy at the right time.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Thank you all for your comments! Having a gillet, and from what you said, I decided against the windproof base layer just now. Instead puled the trigger in some nicely reduced Craft Active Extreme S/S base layer. May also get a nice mesh base layer once the weather improves (that is, when I leave Scotland)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a DHB ss baselayer with a windproof front. It's effective but not as versatile as a gilet. Once or twice I've miscalculated and had to strip off mid ride to remove it because I was overheating.

I'm currently on the lookout for a winter baselayer with a high roll neck ala the Rapah jobbie. Thought they'd be discounting them by now? My inner Yorkshireman thinks £70 is a bit steep for a vest.
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    keef66 wrote:
    I have a DHB ss baselayer with a windproof front. It's effective but not as versatile as a gilet. Once or twice I've miscalculated and had to strip off mid ride to remove it because I was overheating.

I'm currently on the lookout for a winter baselayer with a high roll neck ala the Rapah jobbie. Thought they'd be discounting them by now? My inner Yorkshireman thinks £70 is a bit steep for a vest.

Have you looked at the Endura High Neck Rib I think they call it or something like that? I have a couple for the winter and am more than happy.
    Luke
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    keef66 wrote:

I nabbed one of those merino roll neck tops in last years sale, ended up around or less than half price, as back then you could whizz up a new account and get an extra 15% off. Great fit, quality and toasty warm, a sound investment. Don't think I would pay £70 for one though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I always ride with a mesh base layer, just find it more comfy. I switch to a thin merino one when it gets cold. You want as breathable as possible close to the skin so it wicks well, save the windproof stuff for the outer layers where less breathabilty won’t hold moisture to your skin.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I started wearing mesh base layers 3 years ago and have DHB ones from Wiggle and a couple of Decathlon ones which cost me a tenner, the Decathlon ones are slightly thicker but do the wicking just just as well as the thinner DHB base layer. One thing I found with the DHB ones is from a comfort point of view I wear them insode out cause although I've trimmed the label right down I still can feel it poking into my ribs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    The Decathlon ones are ace. It’s the Btwin 500 sleeveless vest.
    I also use them for running. Best inexpensive bit of kit I’ve used and would recommend.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo