Hyrdraulics vs spyres?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
My bike (A Merlin Malt G gravel bike) has Tektro Lyra cable discs and to be honest after
5 months riding (and decent after market pads) they still suck, power is low and modulation fairly poor. I have to run them mega loose to avoid hideous brake screech.

I am defo getting rid, I have 2 options but need some advice from someone who has used both systems:

1 - Get TRP Spyres with compressionless housing - cable discs with dual moving pads (meaning no need for break rub) - about £150 all in.

2 - Get Shimano Tiagra hydraulic brakes (works with my 10 speed Tigra mechs), I would need adapters also - about £400

Is the extra £250 worth it over the Spyres? I have used hydraulics on my MTBs so I know they are good but for commuting / tow paths / mild single track would the Spyres work.

I just want brakes that don’t rub and work better than my crap Lyras

Thoughts ?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I'd go hydraulic too, having converted from TRP Hy/Rd's. I got most of my stuff off eBay, including some new stock being sold off.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I've heard very good things about the Spyres and having recently had to fettle/set up my partner's bike with them they are pretty simple and relatively hassle-free, especially if you are accustomed to cable operated brakes.

However, the hydraulics on my cross bike (Sram Rival) are amazing, I really like them. On the flip side I find they require more maintenance, or perhaps it's just that it takes me longer as I don't really know what I am doing with hydros yet. Though at the least you need a bled kit, fluid, etc...
  • mr_eddy
    Ok may go hydro tho - seems alot tho to get hydro £400 for new tiagra hydro shifters , calipers and adapters. Bike only cost me £649 new
  • mr_eddy
    Hyd/rd look interesting might give them a bash

Ta
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    The spring of Spyres is too hard, resulting in more force to brake. If you can dismantle it, adjust the spring and assemble the parts again (one of my friend is good at this), the Spyres can be wonderful (better than many roadbike hyrdaulics dics brakes)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    mr_eddy wrote:
    2 - Get Shimano Tiagra hydraulic brakes (works with my 10 speed Tigra mechs), I would need adapters also - about £400
    This may end up more expensive than you've estimated. The Malt G uses post mount calipers, and I'm guessing from you saying you'd need adaptors that the Tiagra brakes have flat mount calipers. Unfortunately, there is no adaptor to fit flat mount calipers to a post mount frame/fork. You would need to swap the calipers to Shimano post mount calipers, which would add another £100ish and require a full bleed.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,031
    Your cheapest full hydraulic route is probably TRP Hylex, which will be ~£200 or so for the pair, plus a set of drop bar end shifters... Similar to the Pinnacle Arkose setups from a few years ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Look at the Giant Conduct system. It's a great halfway house option - most of the advantages of hydraulic - and it's available in post mount.

That'd be my recommendation ahead of either I think - probably not worth the money to go full hydraulic (and as mentioned you have the headache of needing post mount calipers).

You will probably need a new stem also, which should cost about £15.

I will caution that the Conduct isn't a particularly easy system to bleed, so you might have to be patient, careful, or get a trusted LBS to sort it.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Unfortunately, there is no adaptor to fit flat mount calipers to a post mount frame/fork.
    https://www.assolutions.ca/product-category/adapters/
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    whyamihere wrote:
    Unfortunately, there is no adaptor to fit flat mount calipers to a post mount frame/fork.
    https://www.assolutions.ca/product-category/adapters/
    Now that is a new development! Expensive though.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Having used spyres for four years, have found them to be easily adjustable and perfectly adequate.

Why don't you just buy one caliper for £40 and see how that goes?
  • devonboy
    devonboy Posts: 45
    My Diverge came with TRP Spyres,I tried them and laughed,swopped to TRP HY/RD with Swissstop pads,well satisfied with the improvement.

My trike came with Bengal(!) mechanical disc brakes,which I swopped out for the HY/RD off my Diverge with the same level of improvement,however the HY/RD are now into their third year and getting knackered so I have just bought some lowish level Shimano Acera full hydraulic disc brakes off ebay and these are are better again,almost too powerful for the poor old trike.

I would always go for full hydraulic if possible.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 226
    I've used the HY/RDs and my son now has them on his bike. They aren't bad, especially if you use them with the correct outer casings etc. Probably the best of the non-hydro options. They still aren't as good as full hydro and I would always go for that if I could. My son is only 30kg so for him they are more than adequate!

Between the missus and I we have 4 road bikes all running Shimano full hydro setups and they are all powerful, easy to set up and low maintanance. Given I'm 95kg I run the Shimano sintered pads and 160mm rotors and they are all the brake I'll need.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    There was another option that both Bendertherobot and possible Ugo have used, the make began with a J iirc.

If you scan Benders review thread, I am certain you will find it in there, but can't quite recall the details.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Daniel B wrote:
    There was another option that both Bendertherobot and possible Ugo have used, the make began with a J iirc.

If you scan Benders review thread, I am certain you will find it in there, but can't quite recall the details.

Juintech? Semi hydros similar the the TRP HY/RD
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    If you're willing to wait a bit then the new Tiagra should be coming out this year which could well include new disc brake shifters and calipers which will fall under the Tiagra banner.

If it's anything like 105 then loads of people will upgrade to the new shifters and you should be able to pick up a set of RS405 hydro shifters and calipers for pretty cheap, either new or second hand. Right now on eBay you can get the RS505 shifters and calipers for under £150 but I understand that this would necessitate a shift to 11 speed in your situation.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    joey54321 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

+1 for Juin Tech

£140??
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    Ajkerr73 wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

+1 for Juin Tech

£140??

That was it Joey, thankyou.

Not tried them personally, but recall they seemed to get decent reviews.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    I've got HyRds on a bike - to be fair they are OK but no better than decent rim brakes - hard to compare directly as the HyRd bike has fatter tyres but I'd probably say I prefer the rim brakes but of course the HyRds aren't wearing my rims so swings and roundabouts.

On that basis if you are forking out money on a new system I'd go fully hydraulic as for the extra cost, weight etc you at least want better braking than rim calipers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I wouldn't buy the Hy/Rd or Juintech cable/hydro combos. They originally came out before dropped bar levers were widely available and are now fixing a problem that doesn't exist. Dropped bar levers are ubiquitous. Not sure they're massively reliable either. A chum has Hy/Rd's and they have a tendency to seize.

I run Spyres on several bikes for ~4 years and they've been trouble free. Good braking and modulation. The only two slight negatives are if you're using year round for commuting, you'll need to stay on top of maintenance as they can seize in winter. I don't commute so haven't experienced this. The second is, on very long, steep descents off road, you need a firm pull at the lever to brake. Nothing silly, just not one finger braking like some hydros. On the upside, they're a lot cheaper and can be freeer of hassle than hydros. Try fettling an hydraulic brake mid tour...

I did buy some Shimano Rs685 STI levers and calipers from Taiwan recently for just over £200 delivered. Obviously they're 11 speed but you could buy these plus derailleurs, chain and a cassette for a lot less than £400 assuming your wheel will take 11 speed.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Look at the Giant Conduct system. It's a great halfway house option - most of the advantages of hydraulic - and it's available in post mount.

That'd be my recommendation ahead of either I think - probably not worth the money to go full hydraulic (and as mentioned you have the headache of needing post mount calipers).

You will probably need a new stem also, which should cost about £15.

I will caution that the Conduct isn't a particularly easy system to bleed, so you might have to be patient, careful, or get a trusted LBS to sort it.

Totally agree with this. I had Spyres on my Defy from new and they lack power no matter how well they are set up. I have now retrofitted the Conduct brakes and there is a night and day difference in power and feel.

If I can find the old spyres and you pay the postage you can have the spyres for free.