Caster Semenya

2»

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Long read on the whole subject. Spoiler: Semenya is genetically male, in that she has XY chromosomes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    bompington wrote:
    Long read on the whole subject. Spoiler: Semenya is genetically male, in that she has XY chromosomes.
    Was there a link you meant to post with this?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Errrrrr, yes :oops:
    https://quillette.com/2019/05/03/a-vict ... verywhere/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    bompington wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Errrrrr, yes :oops:
    https://quillette.com/2019/05/03/a-vict ... verywhere/

Good article, well spotted
    left the forum March 2023
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    That was a good article and has changed my opinion a little.

But I'm still not comfortable with someone having to take drugs in order to compete when drugs in sport is such a problem already. And also how someone can compete as a woman in some events but then have to compete in men's events for others if they wish to run naturally be a fair system?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I don't see what your problem is with taking drugs - lots of people have to take drugs to compete in sport and do so within the rules.

As already pointed out anyway this is a result of trying to fashion a compromise which allows genetically male athletes to compete in female sport because they identify as women - it's being done to favour the athletes not penalise them and nobody is forcing them to compete.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • chris_bass
    I think transgender is completely different to someone who has lived their entire life as a woman but has an XY disorder
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    All the supporters of Caster need to think about a world in which every medal in the 400m to 1500m distances is taken by XY chromosome athlete. If this happened then you might as well just be honest with the female XX athletes and tell them not to bother. Shut down female participation programmes as lets face it would be pointless to tell young athletes to train hard for an event that they can never win.

I have changed my mind from a Caster supporter to a XX female supporter and think that the testosterone limit is good policy. As for the trans male to female transitioning wannabe sports stars maybe it is time to accept that equality in society excluding sport is all they can achieve unless we want to remove female rights for a minority.
  • chris_bass
    If that were true surely all previous winners would have to have had an XY disorder? it isn't a new thing or something someone can choose and you are assuming that people with this disorder (of which there are very few) will want to be athletes and be willing to train incredibly hard.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Chris Bass wrote:
    If that were true surely all previous winners would have to have had an XY disorder? it isn't a new thing or something someone can choose and you are assuming that people with this disorder (of which there are very few) will want to be athletes and be willing to train incredibly hard.

Go and read the article references above. It is believed the top three in one distance were all XY. Obviously all years have not been run at this place and had this issue as competitors were not XY.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    The latest episode of The Forward podcast by Lance A has him discussing the Semenya case with Prof Roger Pielke who acted as an expert witness on Semenya team in the CAS tribunal. Has some interesting insight into the case and the CAS process. It does wander off a bit though in the 2nd half inc into drugs in sport (!) so stop it when it gets boring.
  • chris_bass
    This seems to rumble on and on