Bontrager R2 in the wet

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited May 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone got the R2 Hard-lites and used them in the wet? It's been dry so far but it wont last and every time i look at the tyres i cant see how they are going to be any good in the wet! They are basically slicks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    david7m wrote:
    Anyone got the R2 Hard-lites and used them in the wet? It's been dry so far but it wont last and every time i look at the tyres i cant see how they are going to be any good in the wet! They are basically slicks.

Tread pattern is irrelevant on a road cycle tyre. If they are not good in the wet, it won't be because they are slicks.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Slicks are what you want on a road bike.

Tread patterns are for product differentiation/marketing. There's a decent article on the subject here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyres.html#tread

Of course, this doesn't mean the bontragers are any good in the wet - a couple of reviews would suggest otherwise - tyre manufacture is a trade off between lots of factors - grip, rolling resistance, robustness etc.

Ultimately if you ride to the conditions then you won't crash. Beware drain covers, oil on the road, etc.
  • david7m
    Good article on the tread!

I've seen the reviews and they do seem to be jizz in the wet, just wondered if anyone on here had them and could help.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Slicks are fine in the wet just take it easier on bends. I've never had a problem with them.
  • brokenbanjo
    brokenbanjo Posts: 20
    They are awful in the wet. No grip whatsoever. But magnificent in the dry.

I have a pair for sale, if anyone wants them?
  • david7m
    Lol
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I wish I could tell the amount of grip a road bike tyre had by just looking at it.
  • david7m
    Joe Totale wrote:
    I wish I could tell the amount of grip a road bike tyre had by just looking at it.

Thank you for the useful contribution.

It rained tonight and I can confirm they are pants if it helps anyone else in the future :D

New tyres on the way!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ill throw in Schwalbe Pro ones as another hopeless tyre in the wet, plus it wears silly quick. Probably about 3K done of them an the backs flatting off rapidly.
  • david7m
    Have gone for 4k gps again, was happy on previous bike and don't fancy tubeless.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    R2s and R3s lack grip in the wet IME.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • david7m
    I think in general the stock tyres are pants on mass production bikes, always the first upgrade :)
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I've honestly found my 32mm Bontrager R2s to be amazing in the wet, not a quick tyre, but I've found the grip to be outstanding. As said above, try using Schwalbe Pro One's and you'll see the difference between a tyre that can and can't handle the wet.
  • david7m
    Didn't realise the pro 1s were so expensive!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    david7m wrote:
    Didn't realise the pro 1s were so expensive!

Very, and hopeless reviews rave about the grip the wet but I honestly cant find it. I noticed I've hit the wear mark depth already so the hunt shall begin.