sungod Posts: 16,556
edited May 2019 in The bottom bracket
'ning

ride, laze, bask, the trinity
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, better start weather wise today, just having a cuppa before the onslaught of another day :)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Rain here, which isn’t welcome.

Day of meetings and different offices, meant to be out on the fun bike later but both main ones need some tlc which I didn’t get to last night and I doubt I will be back early enough tonight
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, no rain here, office cleaners have been in, could tell as my desk is a bombsite, still dusty etc just all my stuff mashed round the desk.
    May do some gardening later, or rather dig some earth OH has gone mad on veg for some reason theres loads to go in somehow
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, office day, grey and drizzly. Strava says my fatigue is low but I feel totally knackered, I wonder which one of us is lying. Need to do some cylcling tonight but as it's wet the nice bike will be staying inside and I'm regretting not buying a new BB for the non-nice bike now. Could do MTB hill reps or something but I need KMs for my distance goal. Got a meeting with a potential wedding photographer tomorrow night so I really need to make the most of the time I have.

In other news, the OH is away at a running race in France from 5am Saturday to Wednesday afternoon (I think it's only 14km but she's really really slow), open to suggestions as to what to do with my free weekend. My initial thought was to ride 300km away from my house, sleep in a bivvy bag then ride home again but unfortnately I have to be home to feed the hound in the evening. That said, he could probably just eat the thousands of ticks he has brought home with him instead...

Other suggestions might include, drive north to run up some munroes (taking hound and sleeping in back of Glamarok which I've not done yet), or two big day rides from the house... Suggestions welcome.

Also, suggestions welcome as to how to stop the OH's parents getting involved in our wedding. I've come up with the following; murder by various methods, change address and not notify them, leave OH, hold a decoy wedding, plant an extremely stressful situation in their house which will take them months of stress to resolve (needing the gutters cleaned or mentioning to her dad that he has a burst window seal for example).
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    HaydenM wrote:
    Morning, office day, grey and drizzly. Strava says my fatigue is low but I feel totally knackered, I wonder which one of us is lying.
    Feeling similar. Didn't bother doing our club time trial last night because I hurt so much, but not feeling any better this morning despite giving it a miss.
    HaydenM wrote:
    My initial thought was to ride 300km away from my house, sleep in a bivvy bag then ride home again but unfortnately I have to be home to feed the hound in the evening.
    Don't you have a tagalong thing to take him with you?
    HaydenM wrote:
    Also, suggestions welcome as to how to stop the OH's parents getting involved in our wedding. I've come up with the following; murder by various methods, change address and not notify them, leave OH, hold a decoy wedding, plant an extremely stressful situation in their house which will take them months of stress to resolve (needing the gutters cleaned or mentioning to her dad that he has a burst window seal for example).
    Elope.
    My brother and his fiance are currently having similar problems - they both planned quite a nice but not totally traditional wedding but it's been totally taken over by the bride's mother. I'm surprised they haven't called the whole thing off.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    HaydenM wrote:
    sleep in a bivvy bag

Other suggestions might include, drive north to run up some munroes (taking hound and sleeping in back of Glamarok which I've not done yet), or two big day rides from the house... Suggestions welcome.

Not sleeping in a bivvy bag - you know what happened last time - all the worry you caused us, all the #prayforhayden. :D

The Munroes with the dog & kipping in the back of the car sounds good.

Ask them not to get involved? Unless they're old-fashioned and paying for the whole shebang, in which case you have to suck it up. Is it just you that's bothered by their meddling, or the OH as well? If the OH isn't bothered, you'll probably have to suck it up. If you're paying and the OH is supportive, just explain that you're doing things the way the two of you want to.

My first wedding - my ex-wife's rich dad sprang for the lot and my ex-wife's mum and ex-wife planned the whole thing - Middle Temple Hall, dinner for 200, free bar, fancy dress & jewellery, flowers, band etc etc. I literally pitched up on the day, looking a bit bewildered in a morning suit.

My second wedding, we paid for. Reggo office, Routemaster bus to a pub in the City for a late lunch, music on a spotify playlist, a few hundred quid behind the bar, then sandwiches/pork pies/scotch eggs etc to soak up the booze.
  • haydenm
    We've booked the venue and lots of other things so there isn't a huge amount left to do to be fair, I just get irrationally annoyed whenever they talk as if they have a say in it. She's been email wedding photographers on our behalf because I said the guy the OH had found was too expensive and I'd rather have a friend (former wedding photographer) do it. I had an amusing chat with her dad at the venue the other day, he was stressing and saying it's all the little details that make it, and I was saying I couldn't give a flying f*ck about any of the 'little details'. Anyone who doesn't like something wouldn't dare mention it to me anyway so they can f*ck themselves.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    HaydenM wrote:
    ...Also, suggestions welcome as to how to stop the OH's parents getting involved in our wedding. I've come up with the following; murder by various methods, change address and not notify them, leave OH, hold a decoy wedding, plant an extremely stressful situation in their house which will take them months of stress to resolve (needing the gutters cleaned or mentioning to her dad that he has a burst window seal for example).
    just tell them to stay out of it, there are various levels of bluntness available, assuming if oh is of same mind tell them together - agree a plan with staged escalation

windy here, bimbled around shops, noticed i need to put a new battery in speed sensor, had a pancake at the marina
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • haydenm
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    sleep in a bivvy bag

Not sleeping in a bivvy bag - you know what happened last time - all the worry you caused us, all the #prayforhayden. :D

The Munroes with the dog & kipping in the back of the car sounds good.

Ask them not to get involved? Unless they're old-fashioned and paying for the whole shebang, in which case you have to suck it up. Is it just you that's bothered by their meddling, or the OH as well? If the OH isn't bothered, you'll probably have to suck it up. If you're paying and the OH is supportive, just explain that you're doing things the way the two of you want to.

My first wedding - my ex-wife's rich dad sprang for the lot and my ex-wife's mum and ex-wife planned the whole thing - Middle Temple Hall, dinner for 200, free bar, fancy dress & jewellery, flowers, band etc etc. I literally pitched up on the day, looking a bit bewildered in a morning suit.

My second wedding, we paid for. Reggo office, Routemaster bus to a pub in the City for a late lunch, music on a spotify playlist, a few hundred quid behind the bar, then sandwiches/pork pies/scotch eggs etc to soak up the booze.

In an awkward place where they have (amazingly genereously) agreed to give us loads of money, which we weren't expecting and I'm not for a second ungrateful for. The slightly frustrating thing is that they worked it all out using what I suspect to be extremely low estimates of what things will cost, unfortunately things have changed a bit since they got married in Hull in the 1970s and I will be paying the rest. If they blow 20% of their budget on a photographer the costs will mount up extremely quickly and I will be payingfor extravagances I would never have picked for myself, especially seeing as I know several professional photographers.

I really can't complain at all as I'm extemely lucky. The OH isn't as sensitive to being partonised as I am though unfortunately so I'm just worried about overreach and me picking up the tab for her Dad's faffing about irrelevant details
  • step83
    HaydenM wrote:

Dig a pair of large holes in the garden an invite them round then bring up surprise menu items like Fugu, an how much youd like a new patio.
    That or speak with your OH an then tell them to sod off
  • hopkinb
    HaydenM wrote:
    he was stressing and saying it's all the little details that make it, and I was saying I couldn't give a flying f*ck about any of the 'little details'.

All that's really important about weddings is

a) bride looks lovely
    b) groom isn't hungover
    c) everyone has enough to eat
    d) everyone has enough to drink

People get so hung up on flowers/table decorations/colour schemes blah blah blah.
  • step83
    oxoman wrote:
    Hoppy you missed the most important thing, they both have to turn up.

Im sure the whole thing could be hosted via Webex though
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    HaydenM wrote:

open to suggestions as to what to do with my free weekend.

suggestions welcome as to how to stop the OH's parents getting involved in our wedding. .

1. stay in, drink, eat biltong and masturbate

2. everytime they mention it punch them in the face. they will soon learn not to mention it.

do you want the MFs to pay them a little visit?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    over on this side, the MIGHTY HONDA is now unliveable: i bought a pack of 3 different flavoured Magic Tree air freshners so bambina and i thought it was a good idea to open them all at once. smells, errrrrrr, interesting.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    hopkinb wrote:
    b) groom isn't too hungover.
    FTFY
    Night before our wedding I went for a swift one, a friend tried to make me stay at the pub by pinching the rotor arm out of my car to disable it. Apparently his face was quite a picture as I drove off having quickly worked out what the problem was and fitted a spare.

Another busy day here, looking forward to the pub tonight but have to go and see the old dear first to go over finances with her. Will definitely need a drink after that.
  • step83
    over on this side, the MIGHTY HONDA is now unliveable: i bought a pack of 3 different flavoured Magic Tree air freshners so bambina and i thought it was a good idea to open them all at once. smells, errrrrrr, interesting.

I topped up my air freshener last night, by topping up i mean I just sprayed the same papery air freshener with lemon scented stuff left it to adsorb an bunged it back in. Job done Der Traktor smells OK again. Beats dog fart I know that much.
  • haydenm
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    he was stressing and saying it's all the little details that make it, and I was saying I couldn't give a flying f*ck about any of the 'little details'.

a) bride looks lovely
    b) groom isn't hungover

People get so hung up on flowers/table decorations/colour schemes blah blah blah.

The only one I can't promise is B...

None of the things he will stress about are important, he'll probably get jittery and start ordering the photographer about and confusing everyone
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Going camping this weekend, time to unpack the crossbow that got delivered here by mistake.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83
    Going camping this weekend, time to unpack the crossbow that got delivered here by mistake.

Erm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-48119092
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Trees will be our main target and I'm not sure I'm scouse enough to wave one around in front of a two year old child.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • step83
    FC will be after you, wilfully wounding innocent trees etc.
  • hopkinb
    HaydenM wrote:

None of the things he will stress about are important, he'll probably get jittery and start ordering the photographer about and confusing everyone

That'll just p!ss the photographer off!

We had a great photographer. He brought an assistant, and we did have about 6 obligatory photos of family all lined up in a row. The rest of the photography was excellent - they just roamed around for the day taking candid "documentary-style" shots. In fact, I've just looked, and it seems my wedding photos are on the internet if you know where to look. :shock:
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

We had a great photographer. He brought an assistant, and we did have about 6 obligatory photos of family all lined up in a row. The rest of the photography was excellent - they just roamed around for the day taking candid "documentary-style" shots. In fact, I've just looked, and it seems my wedding photos are on the internet if you know where to look. :shock:

any pics of fit bridesmaids?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    edited May 2019
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

a) bride looks lovely
    b) groom isn't hungover

(a) and (b) are often the biggest challenges. As some wit once asked; 'If all brides are beautiful, where do all the ugly wives come from?'

Afternoon all and grooms to be,

Busy day here including hosting a heads of tax 'networking' event which saved a packet on fees and a few quid on my lunch :) Now headed home early to give Stropteen a lift to somewhere and back despite her having a full driving licence now :roll: (dont ask). I suppose it's an excuse to go for a drive.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Matthewfalle
    Step83 wrote:

I topped up my air freshener last night, by topping up i mean I just sprayed the same papery air freshener with lemon scented stuff left it to adsorb an bunged it back in. Job done Der Traktor smells OK again. Beats dog fart I know that much.

That sounds like your motor may now smell tolerable not like a thousand tart's armpits like mine does.

#unacceptable
    #tartsarmpit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Step83 wrote:
    ...OH has gone mad on veg for some reason theres loads to go in somehow

She's pregnant.
    Trees will be our main target and I'm not sure I'm scouse enough to wave one around in front of a two year old child.

You're a little bit scouse?

Today I have been mostly repairing rotten wood in the conservatory seen as the day turned form cold and misty to something quite extraordinary unexpectedly.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Step83 wrote:

That sounds like your motor may now smell tolerable not like a thousand tart's armpits like mine does.

#unacceptable
    #tartsarmpit
    The inside of my mota smells of leather :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    ...OH has gone mad on veg for some reason theres loads to go in somehow
    She's pregnant.

ah crap, nettle tea an gin only from now on.!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Step83 wrote:
    Erm
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-48119092
    And https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48013106
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Wife’s uncle drove us from the wedding in a 1920’s silver ghost - nearly ran the photographer over doing a handbrake turn :)