Anybody set off really early for leisure rides?

gt8374uh9jiodpo
gt8374uh9jiodpo Posts: 51
edited May 2019 in Road general
Mrs gt8374uh9jiodpo thinks im bonkers, but I like bike riding really early at the weekend. setting off about 06:30.
I am looking to gradually increase the miles and prefer riding when the air is fresh and the roads are mostly clear, so I as the days get lighter early I am considering getting out there at 05:30 on the weekend and getting the miles in, after an early night of course. Does anybody else do this? What are your experiences like?

Comments

• Snap ! After first 20 mins, all’s good with the world and you get back in time for a second breakfast....
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    No better time to go out, lovely quiet roads just make the whole thing much more enjoyable. Plus you can knock out 50 miles and still be back plenty early enough to do family stuff too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You're perfectly suited for the world of Time Trials. 6am starts in exotic lay-bys.
  • I do a 100 miler once or twice per year and like to get out at 6am for the same reasons, albeit never back in time for a 2nd breakfast!
    I find that you really lose perspective of time as it seems early all the way through. Nice in summer when it starts off chilly and ends up hot.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,590
    Couldn't agree more, easier to do in the summer in daylight admittedly.
    I have been known to go out as early as 4:30, super quiet roads, might not see a car or person for the first 2 hours, really nice experience, and often back before my daughter wakes up.
    Really energises me for the rest of the day.

Now you've mentioned it, I haven't done as above for 12 months or more, but this reminds me how damn good it is, will do so again this year.

As you say, early night is a must.

I get my kit laid out the night before, bike prepped and readied for action in the hallway.
    Up early, coffee, breakfast of some kind, and then get out there and ride.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I'm definitely a morning person. I'll set off at first light for my rides (time varies depending on time of year). It's the quietest time on the roads and there's nothing quite like pedalling to the sight of the sunrise to kick off a perfect day!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Are you the sort of people who mow your lawn at 8.00am on Sundays, so that you can be sanctimonious for the rest of the day and say things about things like early birds and worms?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Are you the sort of people who mow your lawn at 8.00am on Sundays, so that you can be sanctimonious for the rest of the day and say things about things like early birds and worms?
    When the neighbours have had a BBQ last until 3:00 am with full blast karaoke, you betcha!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Neighbours? Eugh.

When I worked in London I'd set off at 5.30 to be at by desk for 9.30. Was totally farked for doing any work though.
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    No better time to go out, lovely quiet roads just make the whole thing much more enjoyable. Plus you can knock out 50 miles and still be back plenty early enough to do family stuff too.
    This is it,
    6.00 AM most saturdays , bit later on sundays to ride with a group.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Totally. And early mid week. Really beautiful riding around Regents Park at 5.30 in the morning in the height of summer.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no one on this site is a PRO so every ride they do is a leisure ride.

and yes, 6:30/7 am starts - best part of the day for riding

#quiet
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I used to do it all the time when the kids were young so I could fit a ride in before work. These days I generally do the morning dog walk, but occasionally I'll swap with my OH and do an early start for a longer ride and it always seems like I've gained an extra six hours somewhere. Marvellous stuff!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Er - how do you know?

and is commuting a leisure ride?
    that's a bit late ...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    didn't chris boardman once comment on here to clear up the confusion over his height? I guess he doesn't count as a pro any more though
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Oh yeah, on the summer weekday mornings there's nothing better than leaving home around 6:30am and doing a ride of a couple hours prior to work.

Quick shower when I arrive at work followed by a cooked breakfast from the canteen and I'm ready to have a snooze at my desk.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Slowbike wrote:
    Er - how do you know?

and is commuting a leisure ride?
    that's a bit late ...

1. because apart from PokerFace they are.

2. Yes. The rubbish part only starts when you get to work. i actually really enjoy my communting ride.

3. its because i'm old and can't function before then

#oldcreakingbones
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Are you the sort of people who mow your lawn at 8.00am on Sundays, so that you can be sanctimonious for the rest of the day and say things about things like early birds and worms?

Nope

1) No interest in getting up early for something that dont enjoy doing
    2) No benefit cutting the grass early, whereas many benefits in cycling early
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I go out as soon as I’ve got up, most days this about lunchtime.
  • Big fan here, once the summer has really begun I set my alarm for whatever time sunrise is and be out on the road 15 mins later. So often on the road by 5:30am by mid June.

Love it, it’s so quiet and peaceful and I can be back home after a 50 mile ride before the kids and wife have even got up.
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    I'm an early bird. And if it's not a bike ride i'm up early for it's a fishing trip, in which case it can be as early as 4am. You can't beat early mornings in the summer months.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I try and do a few dawn rides around late June and July every year, 4am starts and usually on a Sunday. Often they are the most enjoyable rides of the summer for me, absolute bliss pedalling along rural lanes for the first few hours in total solitude.
  • daniel_b
    Nothing like it really is there, feels like you have the whole place to yourself.

The only time that did not pan out, is one morning at circa 5am I was riding along our local high street, and came across someone who had had a major friday night out, and was laid out (Drunk not injured, as the smirking occifer would attest to) across the road with the police in attendance.

I did consider bunny hopping him, but quickly discounted that as an option, as I can't actually do them.

Aside from that one instance, it is generally serenity all the way.

With the earlier sunrises coming up I will aim to get out at sunrise around June time me thinks.

I've always fancied riding a century+ in the summer, having a bit of a kip during the day, and starting bang on midnight adorned with lights, and then aim to be near the completion of the ride somewhere picturesque\idyllic\not busy as the sun comes up - has anyone done something similar?

Bonus I would imagine if you pick the right night, is that the temp might sit in the high teens, so not a ridiculous amount of clothing required.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    5 am start in Cambridge. Breakfast in Clapham. Lunch in Brighton and a swim. Glorious!
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    I have done occasionally but usually I prefer afternoon rides. I regularly opt for a dawnie session surfing, usually better conditions and much quieter. Apart from surfing, if I'm going to do hard exercise then I find I'm much better later in the day despite being a lark as opposed to an owl. I work shifts so up at 5am for days.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    edited May 2019
    I love an early Sunday while it's quiet!
    They are better than a late night where I struggle to get to sleep afterwards.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    It's also going to depend upon alcohol consumption the night before. Too much and an early start is definitely unlikely!
  • I love the evenings through May and June, set off 7pm, quiet roads til 9-10pm
    I struggle to get to sleep afterwards though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • daniel_b
    I love the evenings through May and June, set off 7pm, quiet roads til 9-10pm
    I struggle to get to sleep afterwards though

Yup, I had that issue when I used to do turbo workouts at around 8pm :?

No way around it, but rarely do them now, either during the day, or early doors.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I do a 100 miler once or twice per year and like to get out at 6am for the same reasons, albeit never back in time for a 2nd breakfast!
    I find that you really lose perspective of time as it seems early all the way through. Nice in summer when it starts off chilly and ends up hot.

+1 on the time thing, I have to remind myself to say good afternoon after noon...

I love getting out early, apart from anything else the quality of the light is better, and you're more likely to see interesting wildlife.