BEST Climbing Alloy Wheels Recommendations

2»

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited May 2019
    What the hell has the pressures of climbing got to do with bearing life. I made no such claim.

First there is no such thing as a climbing wheels.

The rear Shimano hub has caved balls one side and loose balls the other not loose both sides. The front has caved balls.

Service a DT hub I give up. They don't need servicing. The grease should not be washed out.

I don't think I have ever services the freehub mechanism on a hub unless I am replacing the bearings or fixing a fault. Freehub mechanisms if good grease is used don't need servicing until bearings need changing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    Ps if your carbon wheels can't be used on hills what's the point in having them.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    jonosas wrote:
    I thought that steel bearings were much better wearing and can withstand the pressures of climbing

As above. Would be very interested to understand more about how climbing affects bearings. Science only please - no speculation or anecdote.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    jonosas wrote:

Just to put it into perspective I train on on this mountain range all the time,so I would advise you to keep your Big Mouth Shut in future as you don't know what your talking about.So maybe you should come over or have you :twisted: chickened out :twisted: . Not amused with your stinking Attitude Mate !!!!!!(thegreatdivide)!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lovely.

I'm just setting off for my 11km @ 15% commute home now.
  • jonosas
    jonosas Posts: 42
    edited May 2019
    :evil:
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    carbon probably wears out slower than alu
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Rokt wrote:
    As Imposter pointed out, if you go up hill you generally have to come down.

What about Mavic R-SYS SLR or Ksyrium Pro, both have a Exalith braking surface,
    it destroys brake pads though !

Not in my experience. If setup correctly the pads last ages. Have had two sets of exalith wheels and pad life has been amazing. Got my bike back from a service today and thought they had changed the pads as it looked as though they had no wear. Nope, same pads I fitted a couple years back. This is with a set of r-sys wheels which are a fantastic wheel set.
  • cycleclinic
    12000m of climbing a month well that nothing. In east anglia I manage that and more. In march I managed 17800m just rolling around the flat lands. I have already done 2700m in the first 2 days on may.

So total climbing tells us nothing.
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/4222842

Carbon does wear at a slower rate than alloy wheels. My point kind of stands.

Its fine to want new wheels and the eurus wheel are fine wheels. However dont try and justify it with faulty logic of climbing wheels e.t.c If you cant go up and down some hills on your carbon set then why did you buy them given that were you live. also keeping a set of a wheel for best days it kind of pointless. Wheels like bikes are meant to be ridden and enjoyed. If you got a set a wheels no matter how expensive ride em till they broke thats what they are for. so ride those carbon wheels until they no longer work, then replace. If you cant afford to replace them then perhaps you spend to much on them. Ride what you can afford to replace should be what everyone sticks too.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    Service a DT hub I give up. They don't need servicing. The grease should not be washed out.

I don't think I have ever services the freehub mechanism on a hub unless I am replacing the bearings or fixing a fault. Freehub mechanisms if good grease is used don't need servicing until bearings need changing.

Not strictly correct. I have Swiss DT wheels and the freehub is LOUD. However, last year it got even louder so I stripped it, regreased it and after that it was back to "normal". Saying freehubs don't need servicing is well, wrong.

I should add I mostly almost always only ride if dry, wet weather riding not for me so the bike rarely gets wet and if so I don't pressure wash it just hose down. Hard to say if grease therefore washed out or was just through regular use.
  • cycleclinic
    If the right grease is used they stay quiet. Funny how mine never seem to get loud. Yes I am correct in what I say.

They only get loud if there little or grease present and it's a thin one.
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • jonosas
    edited May 2019
  • surfercyclist
    If the right grease is used they stay quiet. Funny how mine never seem to get loud. Yes I am correct in what I say.

They only get loud if there little or grease present and it's a thin one.

Well I serviced mine approx one year from new after supply from Canyon on bike so it's a possibility they weren't supplied with enough grease but the recommendation is minimal grease anyway to avoid rachets sticking.
    And I don't want to argue but saying freehubs don't need servicing is still wrong!!! At some stage, sooner or later they are likely to require cleaning/greasing.

And if freehubs don't need serving why do DT Swiss and other manufacturers supply videos/guides etc on exactly that?

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/support/how-to-videos/

Note - I agree that shouldn't require regular service/greasing but on occasion they will.
  • cycleclinic
    edited May 2019
    Minimal grease is the problem. I'm not wrong. The grease type and load is important.

That DT Swiss red grease turn to red dust in the end I would not use it. It's pony.

Take the miche hubs in my own wheels after about 10000 miles the bearings for me need changing and then put a fair load of my preferred freehub grease and it's good for another long time. The only time you replace the grease is if your changing freehubs as alot of the factory grease which is very good and persistent, stay on the freehub your removing.

So if I can avoid the regular freehub service then you can too.
  • surfercyclist
    Minimal grease is the problem. I'm not wrong. The grease type and load is important. Remember I do this for a living do I might have learnt a trick or two, that others have not.

That DT Swiss red grease turn to red dust in the end I would not use it. It's pony.

Take the miche hubs in my own wheels after about 10000 miles the bearings for me need changing and then put a fair load of my preferred freehub grease and it's good for another long time. The only time you replace the grease is if your changing freehubs as alot of the factory grease which is very good and persistent, stay on the freehub your removing.

So if I can avoid the regular freehub service then you can too. Perhaps I know something you don't and I am trying to share that if you will listen.

I'm sure you know plenty that I don't but a condescending attitude ain't the way to get people to listen. As I said, freehub service doesn't need to be a regular item but on occasion it may well be required. So, if someone has a DT Swiss freehub which gets super loud or sticks etc then they should just ignore it as "they don't require servicing". Don't think that makes a lot of sense.
  • imposter2.0
    jonosas wrote:
    Well I am going to have to admit it Cycleclinic, this is the problem. I am having the wheels replaced under warranty . I was not well aware that they would do this due to longer braking on descents.I am gutted to say the least. That is the real reason I don't want to use them for all day climbing days. I was up Serra Montejunto yesterday Afternoon and I was more careful with the break on Descents. :oops: :oops: 2571x51.jpg

Pretty sure that's the wrong way to use tub tape...
  • cycleclinic
    edited May 2019
    I did edit my post but you requoted before I did. I am not trying be condesending but you are claiming you know everything and are mis quoting and misunderstanding my post.

If you have a sticky freehub then service but if it's gets sticky you are not using the right grease that what I said.

I am being mis quoted. I won't bother offering advise in future. This is my last post here for good. I should add it's not this post that's caused this. Forums and social media in general are turning I to places were discussion can't be had. Nuance is lost. That's why I'm out. Far too much explanation is required for everything that is said.
  • surfercyclist
    Hmmm please show me where I claim to know everything and misquoted you? Oh no you can't because you've gone off in a hissy fit. All I did(correctly) was to point out that on occasion it IS required to service a DT Swiss freehub. Dear oh dear.
  • jonosas
    That's it Enough Is Enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Did Not Come Here To Have Fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For F##K Sake Guys Grow Up. I came For Some Impartial Friendly Advice On Pair Of Light Wheelset, that's all!!!!!! As I am having them replaced under warranty. If you cannot do sensable posts then then F Off!!!!! Doesn't matter how fast you are or how good your climbing is or how many meters you do or what % you do weather up or down its not relevant to What I was asking for. I am deleting all my posts apart from this one!!!! Enough Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • surfercyclist
    #hissyfit2.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Imposter wrote:
    jonosas wrote:
    Well I am going to have to admit it Cycleclinic, this is the problem. I am having the wheels replaced under warranty . I was not well aware that they would do this due to longer braking on descents.I am gutted to say the least. That is the real reason I don't want to use them for all day climbing days. I was up Serra Montejunto yesterday Afternoon and I was more careful with the break on Descents. :oops: :oops: 2571x51.jpg

:lol:
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Well it would be good to hear your thoughts on the new Eurus wheels once you have had a few rides on them
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • jonosas
    Imposter wrote:
    jonosas wrote:

Imposter if you trying to make me laugh your mistaken !!!!!! but I cannot stop Laughing!!!! Actually you got it wrong they clinchers and as for my carbons they have got to go back there is no way they will let me ride that back wheel now it is showing deformation on the break track. Thanks for your good sense of huma. :wink::wink:
  • imposter2.0
    You're welcome fella - it's only the internet - it is what it is.. ;)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    ‘Climbing’ wheels are more about going back downhill imo. The braking on my Zero Nites is superb, I love descending on them and am happy braking hard and late into hairpins. They’re stiff and I’ve never had any brake rub either.

Photo%2007-09-2018%2C%2014%2046%2020.jpg?raw=1
  • jonosas
    NorvernRob wrote:
    ‘Climbing’ wheels are more about going back downhill imo. The braking on my Zero Nites is superb, I love descending on them and am happy braking hard and late into hairpins. They’re stiff and I’ve never had any brake rub either.

Photo%2007-09-2018%2C%2014%2046%2020.jpg?raw=1

That's stunning Picture you have there Rob yes your right about dealing with the descending.

This was up Montejunto yesterday afternoon in Portugal (not on Holiday I live out here) :wink::wink:

2wp4ivs.jpg