Chainsets

staituk
staituk Posts: 37
edited April 2019 in Workshop
HI i was looking at a coupling of chainsets on bikes.

both 24 speed one had three on the front and 8 on the back, and the other had 2 on the fron but 11 speed on the back

would there be much difference, between the two . the 11 speed has a 11/40T and the 8 Speed 11/32 but the 8 speed has 3 cogs at the front,

thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The triple will give you a wider range of gear options, including a significantly lower set of ratios on the inner ring. It all depends what you're looking for..
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    staituk wrote:
    HI i was looking at a coupling of chainsets on bikes.

both 24 speed one had three on the front and 8 on the back, and the other had 2 on the fron but 11 speed on the back

would there be much difference, between the two . the 11 speed has a 11/40T and the 8 Speed 11/32 but the 8 speed has 3 cogs at the front,

thanks

Just a minor correction. They are not both 24 speed - the double chainset with 11 speed cassette will give 22 speeds. The triple will give 24 speeds matched with an 8 speed cassette.

You really need to confirm the ratios of the chainsets but I'll assume the double is a compact with 50/34 chainrings. The triple I'll assume is a Sora type with 50/39/30 chainrings.

An 8 speed 11-32 cassette will have quite big gaps between the sizes of the sprockets so that could mean a lot of shifting between front chainrings to maintain a smooth and comfortable cadence. The lowest gear ratio would be 30/32 or a ratio of 1.06.

The double chainset (50/34) matched to an 11 speed 11-40 cassette will produce an smoother ride experience as the gaps between the sprocket sizes will be smaller. Also the lowest gear will be 34/40 or a ratio of 1.16 - so will be a lower overall gear than offered by the triple 8 speed option.

Another consideration is that triple chainsets are a bit more fiddly to set up