refurbing / modernising a rockrider 8.1 - PROJECT STARTED

2»

Comments

• bonzo_banana
    bonzo_banana Posts: 256
    BillyCool wrote:
    If you have such limited clearance with 44T, does that include a chain being in place?

No idea if a 40 or 44T would give you what you want. If you go 2x then 32/44 is fairly standard with 11-36 at the back.

I'd still prefer 2x but that is only based on my preferences and experience. I'm not a big fan of a ghetto fix when there is an exisiting 2x set-up that would solve the issue.

I take issue with your 'ghetto fix' comment because surely on any reasonable level the multiple derailleur setup is more of a ghetto fix, for a start many gears are often duplicated, then you have un=selectable gears because they have excessively angled chainlines which you have to learn not to use and the resulting ticks and knocks sounds if you do of the front derailleur because of the chainline angle. That surely is the engineering ghetto fix in order to increase the range of gears. It isn't a well engineered solution, you don't get many cars where you have two gear sticks and some of the gears are pretty much useless and some others you shouldn't use because they would damage the gearbox and make excessive noise.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    BillyCool wrote:
    If you have such limited clearance with 44T, does that include a chain being in place?

No idea if a 40 or 44T would give you what you want. If you go 2x then 32/44 is fairly standard with 11-36 at the back.

I'd still prefer 2x but that is only based on my preferences and experience. I'm not a big fan of a ghetto fix when there is an exisiting 2x set-up that would solve the issue.

I take issue with your 'ghetto fix' comment because surely on any reasonable level the multiple derailleur setup is more of a ghetto fix, for a start many gears are often duplicated, then you have un=selectable gears because they have excessively angled chainlines which you have to learn not to use and the resulting ticks and knocks sounds if you do of the front derailleur because of the chainline angle. That surely is the engineering ghetto fix in order to increase the range of gears. It isn't a well engineered solution, you don't get many cars where you have two gear sticks and some of the gears are pretty much useless and some others you shouldn't use because they would damage the gearbox and make excessive noise.

My comment was aimed at danlightbulb as he is/was trying to get a 40 or 44T chainring to fit with a wafer thin clearance from his frame to try and get a satifactory gear range from a 1x set-up. To me, that was more ghetto than an existing 2x set-up that would probably get him the desired response with less of the pain.

I appreciate that with 2x and 3x gears do overlap, but in 20+ years of running 3x in various guises, it never felt `ghetto` to me. The gears worked and gave me what I wanted (I accept that the granny ring was pretty much redundant).

Perhaps I should have said `bodge` or `DIY`.

After all, it's all about context. :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The chain rings are cheap enough it just means new mech and shifter for the front. Not much point in buying used stuff that im unsure of the condition of, I may as well keep my existing mech and shifter in that case which still works but is worn and stiff.

There is no need to buy a 2-speed front shifter if you currently have a 3-speed shifter. When I converted from 3x9, I just altered the limit screws on the front mech and the job was done; no need for a new shifter!