Advice / reassurance needed please

fozworth
fozworth Posts: 142
edited May 2019 in Workshop
Hi all ,I recently left mtbing after many years and turned back to road cycling .I purchased a Look 765HM road bike of which I loved the look of and felt that Looks pedigree should stand me in good stead. I've only racked up about 3-400 miles so far but ever since I've had the bike it's always Clicked/creaked on the bb area . I checked the crankset for tightness and regressed also but it still happens under load as it did before. I called up Merlin Cycles where I bought the bike and let them know so as to log the issue with them really. I really didn't want to have to go through the hassle and worry of sending my bike back to them if the problem wasn't serious so I told them I'd take it up to my local bike shop for a second opinion and further investigation. Unfortunately it wasn't the news I had hoped ,and apparently my drive side pressfit cup has a small amount of play when put under load .They check both cups were seated and they were so I'm now faced with sending my pride n joy back to merlin.
My question is (sorry for the waffle) are these type issues fixable with new cups ? Are they bonded in ? If so could this of failed. I'm worried that I might end up with a bodge fix but at the same time after spend hours of carful time fitting inviz frame protection perfectly I really would like my frame back so as not to have to face that job again ,although obviously I wasn't the cups to be right. I just hope these type issues are fixable.
Any info to put my mind at rest would be appreciated.
Cheers guys
At the end of the day, it's night.

Comments

• gazza1286
    gazza1286 Posts: 45
    I believe that your bike has a bb30 bottom bracket. If so you can replace this with a threaded unit.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wheels-Manufac ... 0_EALw_wcB
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,391
    bite the bullet and send it back, if there's play then something is wrong, bb shell may be out of tolerance or damaged

think it might be pf30 rather than bb30, but either way it shouldn't creak, my bike has bb30, coming up for ten year's all weather riding, tens of thousands of km, no creaking
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    sungod wrote:
    bite the bullet and send it back, if there's play then something is wrong, bb shell may be out of tolerance or damaged

think it might be pf30 rather than bb30, but either way it shouldn't creak, my bike has bb30, coming up for ten year's all weather riding, tens of thousands of km, no creaking

Ive never had creaky problems either. But then i do my own build, maintenance and repair.

The wheels manufcturing products ar the biz and dont need bonding in. highly reccomended and if hes still making them, look up hambini. a bloke that manufactures precision one piece brackets. hes got a website and some good info.

Some muppett may have bonded your pf30cups in as a way to avoid creak but the system is designed such that the cups with bearings are replaced and to get them out might need some welly.
  • fozworth
    I’ve sent the frame back and look now got a higher quality bb which apparently they have had no issue with nor with the warranty ones they’ve fitted so fingers crossed
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    fozworth wrote:
    I’ve sent the frame back and look now got a higher quality bb which apparently they have had no issue with nor with the warranty ones they’ve fitted so fingers crossed

Sounds like a result!

Well done let us know how it goes when you’ve rebuilt the bike :)
  • fozworth
    Will do