Do different wheels of the same depth handle differently?

spredy
spredy Posts: 48
edited May 2019 in Road general
Can different wheels of the same rim depth vary much in how they handle?

I used to ride a battered pair of 50mm rims in all weathers, the wheels were somewhat out of true but they felt fine and only on the sorts of days where an actual weather warning was given would they feel sketchy.

Anyway, after binning them and riding box rims for a year or so, I bought a brand new set of 50s and for the life of me can't feel comfortable on them, even in modest winds I'm getting thrown all over the road.

This makes me wonder, despite the same rim depth, is that where the similarities between wheels can end?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Different profiles will handle differently in the wind. This is why some cost more than others.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    spredy wrote:
    Can different wheels of the same rim depth vary much in how they handle?

I used to ride a battered pair of 50mm rims in all weathers, the wheels were somewhat out of true but they felt fine and only on the sorts of days where an actual weather warning was given would they feel sketchy.

Anyway, after binning them and riding box rims for a year or so, I bought a brand new set of 50s and for the life of me can't feel comfortable on them, even in modest winds I'm getting thrown all over the road.

This makes me wonder, despite the same rim depth, is that where the similarities between wheels can end?

It might just be that you’re used to the shallow rims now, they handle better, run up to speed etc but if you used deep section wheels before you’ll get used to them again.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    It might just be that you’re used to the shallow rims now, they handle better, run up to speed etc but if you used deep section wheels before you’ll get used to them again.

Pretty much this, also with a deep section wheel when you turn you get the added kick of the wind deflecting off the wheel like a ships rudder, much less so on shallow rims so the handling feel changes as a result as your not carving through the wind so to speak. Unless its a side wind an your screwed either way.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Yes, different wheels will handle differently (IMO). My current 68mm rims handle better than my previous 50mm rims
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    100%, was shocked at how much the 50mm Mavic V-shape rims I had on a hire bike kicked me all over the road in comparison to my 60mm U-shaped Prime wheels last week.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think it's getting windier year on year as well. Unless I'm getting more tired as the decades go by.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    aside from rim size/profile, the front tyre can also make a significant difference to handling on a deep rim...

with my wheels if the front tyre is more than 2 mm wider than the rim then the wheel tends to 'catch' as the yaw angle changes, with a strong wind it can get very twitchy on descents, but if the tyre-rim widths match the handling is fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • spredy
    spredy Posts: 48
    Hmm, interesting. Do you have any idea what other variables come into play? Are u shaped rims generally better than v ones? Any standout wheelsets, even if only anecdotal?
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    Yes. In my own experience, I have two wheelsets: 45mm depth V-shaped with 22mm width 50mm depth U-shaped 27mm width. I need to take more care and power to deal with crosswind when riding on V-shaped wheel although it's 5mm shallower. Thus I only have U-shaped one now.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yes rim profile make a difference as does tyre width relative to the rim. A tertiary factor is sidewall texture.

It's in that order.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes. They are from different manufacturers with different ideas, designs, production methods etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    My 60mm carbon wheels (on my aero bike) are more stable than the 45mm i had on my climbing / lightweight bike. So there is definetly variation between manufactures (as you would expect that the 45mm would be more stable).