Rear 6700 Ultegra Brake behaviour

ian220476
ian220476 Posts: 164
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Hi

A friend upgraded from 6700 to 11spd recently so i inherited his groupies to upgrade my 105. All working fine on his bike.

It's all gone on fine except the car brake.

New cables (does many times etc) so they are all fine. But it is kind of sticking, but also not. I have lubed and GT85'd everything.

If i squeeze the blocks together by hand, it springs back just fine. I i replicate, or use, teh cable pull (pull on arm where cable is locked in, up to barrel adjuster), it pulls close, but then stays closed and does not spring back.

Any ideas?
GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Burr on outer cable? Did you cut the outters with pliers and crush it slightly?
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    Proper cable cutters; teh cables are running true and fine. If i remove the brake unit itself, one half springs fine as described above, but then when you pull on teh cable 'holder' it just sticks shut.
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    It's a cable issue, there must be some resistance somewhere preventing the inner returning fully. Any tight bends in the outer cable run? A bit of gunk on the inner cable somewhere? Inner not properly seated in the lever or outer not seated properly in the shifter or at any of the stops? OR as mentioned above any issues when cutting outers?

Some set ups are particulary sensitive to the length of the outer section from the TT to the caliper: keeping it short looks tidier but some times you need a bit more "loop" to reduce friction.