Canyon ergocockpit on a non-Canyon bike

alexanderjames
alexanderjames Posts: 7
edited April 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

The opportunity has recently arisen to purchase a Canyon H31 Ergocockpit really cheap from someone who has recently removed it from their brand new bike.

I'm interested in installing it on my Specialized Allez Sprint, is this possible? Do Canyon use the same steerer width and how would the spacers work? Or would this be just a really dumb idea?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Canyon bikes use an oversized 1 1/4" steerer tube, whereas most bikes use 1 1/8", so it won't fit as is. Whether a suitable shim or other adapter exists I don't know.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I think giant might also use that size on some bikes, and their higher end stems come with that shim.

It's an expensive way to get the shim but if the numbers match might be the easiest way.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Just google for 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 shim. Plenty available, eg

https://www.evanscycles.com/wheels-manu ... gJPBPD_BwE
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    rafletcher wrote:
    Just google for 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 shim. Plenty available, eg

https://www.evanscycles.com/wheels-manu ... gJPBPD_BwE

That shim is for a front mech, not a stem.

The Canyon ergocockpit's come with spacers which match the shape of the steerer tube clamping area, be sure to get those. Also, the shape of the clamping area matches that part of the frame on a Canyon and may look quite ugly when transferred to a Specialized Allez (just saying).
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    Hi,

The opportunity has recently arisen to purchase a Canyon H31 Ergocockpit really cheap from someone who has recently removed it from their brand new bike.

I'm interested in installing it on my Specialized Allez Sprint, is this possible? Do Canyon use the same steerer width and how would the spacers work? Or would this be just a really dumb idea?

Thanks in advance.

Works fine, I ran a canyon ergo cockpit on my sworks sl6, with now problems at all. Giant sell the shim you need, cost about a fiver.