Bicarbonate of soda?

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Capt Slog wrote:
    But used to work with a lady who was bought up in Hong Kong. When she moved to UK (10 or so) she was at a family friend's house and was asked to help in the kitchen preparing salad, specifically washing the lettuce.

She complained to her mum that "the water wasn't pink!"

Apparently it was the practice in HK to have a bottle of potassium permanganate in a dropper bottle by the sink, and you'd put a couple of drops in the water, making it pink, and then wash anything that was going to eaten raw in that. The water can't have been very good.

Reminds me of the time when as a student I was cooking pasta. My Scouse mate wanted to know what it was. He reckoned spaghetti was orange and came in a tin...
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    keef66 wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    But used to work with a lady who was bought up in Hong Kong. When she moved to UK (10 or so) she was at a family friend's house and was asked to help in the kitchen preparing salad, specifically washing the lettuce.

She complained to her mum that "the water wasn't pink!"

Apparently it was the practice in HK to have a bottle of potassium permanganate in a dropper bottle by the sink, and you'd put a couple of drops in the water, making it pink, and then wash anything that was going to eaten raw in that. The water can't have been very good.

Reminds me of the time when as a student I was cooking pasta. My Scouse mate wanted to know what it was. He reckoned spaghetti was orange and came in a tin...

:lol:

And that reminds me of something Rick Stein said on TV once. Apparently when one of the first Italian restaurants opened in the UK, they had to put a sign on the door...

"We do NOT serve spaghetti on toast".

The older I get, the better I was.

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bicarbonate of soda vs baking soda vs baking powder. Discuss.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    drlodge wrote:
    Bicarbonate of soda vs baking soda vs baking powder. Discuss.
    I find Bicarbonate best for cleaning silver chains. I not so sure it works on bathroom tiles though.