The best chain cleaner???

samfailed
samfailed Posts: 82
edited June 2019 in Workshop
A dirty chain really grinds my gears (did you see what I did there?) so I'm always looking at new products to get it as clean as possible. However, I've never really found anything that's amazing and does the job perfectly every time, does such a product exist? Any tips on getting your chain really dirt free?

I find the problem is that most of chain-cleaning devices on the market are basically one-use-only but don't admit it. Once you've cleaned a filthy chain with one of these chain cleaners you just have a filthy chain cleaner instead, and when you go to use it again the muck just seems to get spread around everywhere and you'll never get the same result again.

Are there any products which really do the trick? Or is it best to save my money and use some house-hold items to get the job done (sponges, scourers, tooth brushes, etc.)?

Comments

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    I've used a Park one for years and never had an issue - just wash the cleaner out after use. I use a citrus degreaser 50/50 with hot water and wash the cleaner out with the same or sometimes washing up liquid after use.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edward.s wrote:
    I've used a Park one for years and never had an issue - just wash the cleaner out after use. I use a citrus degreaser 50/50 with hot water and wash the cleaner out with the same or sometimes washing up liquid after use.
    +1
  • I use 'Zep Commercial Citrus heavy duty degreaser 750ml' from Screwfix (no its not a dating site), then hot soapy water and finally fresh water, allow to dry then lube.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    The Morgan blue chain cleaner is amazing, but you must lube well after
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Morgan blue and a brush.
    Check out this guide to cleaning your bike-

https://youtu.be/Sf80DnCgHRQ
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • +3 for the Park tool.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    +3 for the Park tool.
    Agree.
    I had the Aldi/Lidl one and it worked ok a few times but then something broke on it. Got the Park Tool one and it's much better and seems more durable and doesn't fall over when you put it down and spill degreaser everywhere.
    I'm using it with the Halfords Citrus degreaser which does the job, haven't tried anything else yet.
  • I bought a 5 litre pack of concentrated citrus degreaser from Screwfix. Will last for ever. Think it only cost me s tenner or so.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    +4 for the Park Cyclone Chain Cleaner. I currently use Halfords citrus degreaser but have had Fenwicks in a jam jar and left the chain for a day to soak and given it a shake too, obviously with the lid on.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    jizer and a paintbrush or a stiff dish brush.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Diesel and tooth brush.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    £12 cleaner from chain reaction, Elbow Grease £1 a litre from home bargains.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    A-Stoff mixed with B-Stoff, and a box of swan vesta
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    I bought a 5 litre pack of concentrated citrus degreaser from Screwfix. Will last for ever. Think it only cost me s tenner or so.

Do you dilute it or use neat?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited April 2019
    Use a lube that does not let your chain get filthy. I never need to clean mine. My chain never get dirty even doing 500km a week.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Use a lube that does not let your chain get filthy. I never need to clean mine. My chin never get sorry even doing 500km a week.

What lube do you use?
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    I bought a 5 litre pack of concentrated citrus degreaser from Screwfix. Will last for ever. Think it only cost me s tenner or so.

Do you dilute it or use neat?
    I dilute it. Don't ask what ratio. The label has fallen off, and I marked my storage bottle a long time ago. Now I just rely on a fading mark then top up with water.

Cold water of course. A minimum of 3 degrees above freezing, assuming Peckham Spring Water isn't available.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Use a lube that does not let your chain get filthy. I never need to clean mine. My chin never get sorry even doing 500km a week.

What lube do you use?

Curious on this, OK it doesnt take long to do but still a chain lube that doesnt go black is always nice.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A chain lube that doesn't go black is not doing it's job properly...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Imposter wrote:

True, maybe it wouldnt be an issue if it didnt some out the bottle in other colours, make it black out the bottle an no one will care anymore!
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Petrol (95 octane)

Take off the chain.
    Pour some petrol into a container.
    Put the chain in.
    Swish it around a few times with an old paint brush.
    Remove and dry with a rag.
    Refit to your bike and lube with your preferred lubricant.

A sparkling clean chain guaranteed everytime.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249

This. Either neat or diluted by a third. Best degreaser I've found and it's cheap. Also removes grease from clothes incl bike stuff. Apply to stain then wash
  • MugenSi wrote:
    Petrol (95 octane)

Take off the chain.
    Put the chain in.

This or kerosene, then I rinse in clean water then apply Squirt. Only needs to be done once.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    MugenSi wrote:
    Petrol (95 octane)

Take off the chain.
    Put the chain in.

This or kerosene, then I rinse in clean water then apply Squirt. Only needs to be done once.

How often do you apply squirt? I switched to it a while back, and it is nice to see the chain not turning into midnight in a few miles. However, after 3 commute days I start getting some squeaks on some gears (say 50x14-11, but nowhere else). So I'm either missing something obvious/doing it wrong or expecting the impossible.

EDIT: I didn't do a full chain degrease with the last chain (assembled early April)
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    DrHaggis wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    Petrol (95 octane)

Take off the chain.
    Put the chain in.

How often do you apply squirt? I switched to it a while back, and it is nice to see the chain not turning into midnight in a few miles. However, after 3 commute days I start getting some squeaks on some gears (say 50x14-11, but nowhere else). So I'm either missing something obvious/doing it wrong or expecting the impossible.

EDIT: I didn't do a full chain degrease with the last chain (assembled early April)

If dry riding around 150-200miles inbetween applications. As it happens I "Squirted" my chain today, done around 160ish miles and it felt a bit dry when I rubbed it(oo-er etc). Anyway, I just wiped chain and cassette with clean rag and literally just put one drop on each roller. That's all that is needed on subsequent apllications. The initial application after cleaning with kero etc I put one on liberally, allow to dry and then another lot so chain is well dosed. If chain gets wet during a ride then I dry with rag and reapply. It sounds a faff but it's not.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Step83 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

What lube do you use?

Curious on this, OK it doesnt take long to do but still a chain lube that doesnt go black is always nice.

He`s on Rock N Roll
  • Another fan of the park tool here. I use it with the green Gunk degreaser, its biodegradable and still works great diluted 50/50.

I use the chain cleaner, pour the remaining degreaser into a cup and use a brush to do the rings and cassette. Then wash the bike as usual and rinse the whole lot down. Dry the chain with a rag, let it air dry properly then use Weldtite wet lube, wiping off any excess. Works for me, nice and quiet for a weeks riding unless it's raining.

I always do it after a ride so the bike sits overnight to allow the lube to bond with the chain, don't get any lube flinging off this way.
  • davetex
    davetex Posts: 20
    I'm a big fan of the Fenwick's foam and sponge, simple, and quick. Always found the cleaning machine efforts a bit much faff.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,472
    Imposter wrote:
    Yup. Everything else is a search for a square circle. All you end up with is Squoval.

By the way, how do we know if you are the real Imposter?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My chains don't go black and my chains are lubed. Not a square circle.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.