Giant Tubeless Tyres - IMPOSSIBLE TO SEAT!

samfailed
samfailed Posts: 82
edited April 2019 in Workshop
I recently purchased a Giant Defy Advanced 2018 which came set-up as tubeless. I accidentally deflated my rear tyre the other day (don't ask) and now it's impossible to re-inflate! The tyre is very loose and comes off without tyre levers so you certainty can't use a floor pump.

After trying everything I could do at home I took the wheel to my local bike shop to get it sorted. They tried everything; C02 canisters, using zip ties, various different compressors. Still, they could not get it seated and commented on how ridiculously loose the tyre is.

I'm now completely stuck as to what to do! Surely it must be possible because it was set-up in the first place!?

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Is the rim tape in good nick? Maybe another layer of tape may help as well to make things a bit more snug.
  • samfailed
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Is the rim tape in good nick? Maybe another layer of tape may help as well to make things a bit more snug.

The bike is only a few weeks old. Could it become a problem that quickly?
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    samfailed wrote:
    I recently purchased a Giant Defy Advanced 2018 which came set-up as tubeless. I accidentally deflated my rear tyre the other day (don't ask) and now it's impossible to re-inflate! The tyre is very loose and comes off without tyre levers so you certainty can't use a floor pump.

After trying everything I could do at home I took the wheel to my local bike shop to get it sorted. They tried everything; C02 canisters, using zip ties, various different compressors. Still, they could not get it seated and commented on how ridiculously loose the tyre is.

I'm now completely stuck as to what to do! Surely it must be possible because it was set-up in the first place!?
    Is your local bike store the store where you did buy your Giant, then he can re-inflate your tyre.? In the mean time you can read this article about tubeless tyres. :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • samfailed
    oxoman wrote:
    I'm assuming your using the gavia tyres and possibly the carbon wheels. Can't say I've had issues with mine even when completely removed. Normally as long as the sealant is ok they will reseat. Can't see why someone suggested tape as tubeless don't normally have this and certainly not fitted on my bikes. Taped rims are normally for tubs not tubeless. Suggest you go back to bike retailer as possible rim or tyre issue.

Yes, the gavia tyres. How do you inflate them? Do you not find they seem impossibly loose?
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    If it doesn't seat with an air compressor the tire is probably defective so don't use it and try another. When deflated the tire should stay on the rim.

Did you hit a pothole or something?
  • samfailed
    zefs wrote:
    If it doesn't seat with an air compressor the tire is probably defective so don't use it and try another. When deflated the tire should stay on the rim.

But the tyre was holding fine before I accidentally deflated it!? Could a defect suddenly be discovered simply by deflating it by the valve?
  • samfailed
    zefs wrote:

But the tyre was holding fine before I accidentally deflated it!? Could a defect suddenly be discovered simply by deflating it by the valve?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Ah the Joy's of tubeless......

Have you tried using a tube inside it? Might get one bead to seat properly with sealant to seal. Then deflate, remove tube from one side leaving the other bead in-situ. Reinflate using compressor.

Or just run with a tube?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    samfailed wrote:
    zefs wrote:

No, tubeless tires must stay seated and deflating it shouldn't create any issues. My guess is the sealant (which also helps with the seal) dried and now the tire does not seat or it is defective and the air leaks. Try to find if there is a puncture as well?

About initial setup, you first seat the tire with air compressor, deflate it (tire stays seated) then you add ~30ml of sealant through the valve.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    oxoman wrote:
    Can't see why someone suggested tape as tubeless don't normally have this and certainly not fitted on my bikes. Taped rims are normally for tubs not tubeless. Suggest you go back to bike retailer as possible rim or tyre issue.

Wrong. Any rim that has holes in the rim bed to access the head of the spokes will need to be taped to make them airtight. Just because your sample of one doesn't, doesn't make your right.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    oxoman wrote:
    I'm assuming your using the gavia tyres and possibly the carbon wheels. Can't say I've had issues with mine even when completely removed. Normally as long as the sealant is ok they will reseat. Can't see why someone suggested tape as tubeless don't normally have this and certainly not fitted on my bikes. Taped rims are normally for tubs not tubeless. Suggest you go back to bike retailer as possible rim or tyre issue.

What's this stuff then?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/stans-no-tubes ... -rim-tape/

Most tubeless ready rims still have spoke holes, that's what the tape is for. In my personal experience many issues with tubeless is down to issues with the rim tape.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    sounds like the OP need to visit a shop familiar with tubeless.

The OP's tyres may have suffered bead stretch. without see the wheel and tyre we are all guessing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    They’re a real leap forward these tubeless tyres.
  • samfailed
    Update: The bike shop managed it in the end with a bigger compressor. Everyone involved is still confused as to why the tyre is so lose, it comes off without tyre levers!
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    So...... how did you deflate it then in the first place :)
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Had the same issue with my 2018 Defy, had to use a decent compressor to get them reseated, I ended up swapping the tyres to IRC Roadlites which have been great and are still on the PR2’s after 3k Miles, now on GP5000 tubeless on some Mavic Ksyrium Pro ust’s.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Bead stretch. It not a mystery.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Bead stretch, seriously? I’ll add that to problems sealing at higher pressure, difficult to seat, congealed sealant, blocked valves, increased weight, higher cost,
    More faff and at times a total pia to fix at the roadside.
  • samfailed wrote:
    Update: The bike shop managed it in the end with a bigger compressor. Everyone involved is still confused as to why the tyre is so lose, it comes off without tyre levers!
    I’m not sure I’d be comfortable riding it if it’s as loose as you say. What if you get a puncture big enough for the sealant not to work? Rather than it deflating and you being able to ride it safely to a stop, you could be looking at a big crash as the tyre comes off the rim.