4iii power meter error, won't calibrate, massive power overreading

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited May 2019 in Road general
While out riding a few days ago, my 30 month old left crank only power meter suddenly started returning massive power readings (I got an NP of 1200 for an hour :D:D ) and won't calibrate any more.

I've followed the usual advice from 4iii directly (new battery, checked firmware, checked connections, shorted out the connections to remove residual charge, checked seal, checked battery cap clips) but no luck.

Before I follow the next advice to send back to manufacturer for repair/replacement, does anybody else have any experience of this and advice for what to do next?

Thanks

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Yes, had the exact same issue with two 4iiii crank arms.
    Both were returned and replaced under warranty as they couldn't be repaired. It is a known problem with them.

4iiii are pretty good with honouring the warranty although 30months is outside of the standard 2years so you might have a battle to get it replaced.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
  • topcattim
    redvision wrote:
    Yes, had the exact same issue with two 4iiii crank arms.
    Both were returned and replaced under warranty as they couldn't be repaired. It is a known problem with them.

4iiii are pretty good with honouring the warranty although 30months is outside of the standard 2years so you might have a battle to get it replaced.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
    Thanks redvision. Long shot, but do you have any links to source information about it being a known problem? That might make it easier if I need to persuade them to replace it under warranty.
  • redvision
    Only forum posts (not just bike radar), but there are plenty of them, and the repeated theme is the unit having be replaced as it can't be repaired.

Like I say though, they are pretty good at honouring warranties so probably worth getting back in touch to see if they will help.

Hope you get it sorted.
  • topcattim
    redvision wrote:
    Only forum posts (not just bike radar), but there are plenty of them, and the repeated theme is the unit having be replaced as it can't be repaired.

Like I say though, they are pretty good at honouring warranties so probably worth getting back in touch to see if they will help.

Hope you get it sorted.
    Thanks, will let you know how I get on.
  • redvision
    If it helps, the 4iiii contact who helped sort my warranty claims was called Wriley. I went through the retailer I bought from but they were so slow and he helped speed it up and sort everything.
  • I had exactly this issue, mid-ride it suddenly started reading well over 1000watts. I stopped a rebooted by Garmin thinking that would fix it, it didn't and the next ride was an average of 1200watts. lol.

It was calibrating with code 20, and would fail to calibrate through their app as well.

I did find a factory reset procedure, of sorts, online but I think it was only targetted at Android as it required downloading a very specific version of their app via a URL - so you have to allow installing of apps outwith the app-store etc.

I followed it, and it re-synced successfully giving the using "code 10" and it's been giving sensible figures since (over a week now).

I'll see if I can find the URL in my browser history, as I forgot to bookmark it.
  • Here it is:
    Disclaimer - it worked for me (and the guy that wrote it).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... obilebasic

Look for the BOLD text "The FIX" ...
  • topcattim
    Here it is:

Ah, thanks for this. Stupidly, I've only just spotted this. On the afternoon of the day when I nipped to the post office in my lunch break to send the PM back to probikekit. Ho hum.
  • topcattim wrote:
    Here it is:

Ah, thanks for this. Stupidly, I've only just spotted this. On the afternoon of the day when I nipped to the post office in my lunch break to send the PM back to probikekit. Ho hum.

Seems I spoke to soon ... solution worked a little over one week, and now I'm getting Error Code 20 again.
    Oh well, getting in touch with 4iiii it is then.
    ProBikeKit didn't seem to want to know, and fobbed me off to 4iiii, despite the device still being under warranty.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Same thing happened to mine. I'd had it approximately 14 months and used it most days in all weathers without issue. Then suddenly calibration error 20. Sent it back to ribble and sold the warranty replacement.