eTap clunk advice

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited May 2019 in Road general
Just a quick question for fellow eTap users (11 speed). I am a new user and have experienced more noise than expected when changing up to a higher gear (right shift) It's not on every shift but when it happens it's a clunk a bit akin to my other SRAM Rival mechanical and no big deal but just not as smooth as expected although down shifts seem to be silent. Is this normal or do I need to micro-adjust? There is no chain noise once in gear so not an alignment issue that I can see. It's the wifli version if that makes any difference? Is it maybe technique and I just need to learn what part of the pedal stroke I need to change on?

TIA
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Are you using an 1190 (Red) cassette? They can be a bit noisy due to the one piece design amplifying things a bit. If the shifting's not smooth then it might need some adjustment, but if it's just the noise I wouldn't worry.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    whyamihere wrote:
    Are you using an 1190 (Red) cassette? They can be a bit noisy due to the one piece design amplifying things a bit. If the shifting's not smooth then it might need some adjustment, but if it's just the noise I wouldn't worry.

Its pretty much that, I'm using the 1170 an get the same in the top three cogs. Main difference is the 1190 has elastomer things between each cog to make things quieter. Incidentally the old 1190 was actually louder than the 1170 as 8 of the cogs are machined from a single lump of steel.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Step83 wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Its pretty much that, I'm using the 1170 an get the same in the top three cogs. Main difference is the 1190 has elastomer things between each cog to make things quieter. Incidentally the old 1190 was actually louder than the 1170 as 8 of the cogs are machined from a single lump of steel.

Yes it's an 1190 cassette so probably all fine then. I'm confident it's selecting each gear accurately, no chain rub at all but the clunk sounds a little bit agricultural when everything else about the system is top notch. Thanks gents, I will just have to get used to it!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    When I had eTap (sold it, too much groupset for me these days) the rear shifts were near silent in both directions (think I used an Ultegra cassette). I couldn't say the same about the front shift, but then that's SRAM front mechs whether it's eTap or Apex IMHO! :wink:
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If you have deep section carbon rims these also amplify gear changes at the rear. Mine give a right good ‘clump’ sound as I shift. :wink:

PP
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    munkster wrote:
    When I had eTap (sold it, too much groupset for me these days) the rear shifts were near silent in both directions (think I used an Ultegra cassette). I couldn't say the same about the front shift, but then that's SRAM front mechs whether it's eTap or Apex IMHO! :wink:

Yeah run high front mech cable tension then downshift, so so loud!