Best alternative to Mavic UST tyres?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Apologies if this has been covered (I can't face looking through 107 pages of the tubeless tyre thread) but what's a good alternative to Mavic road UST tyres?

I've some lovely Ksyrium Elite UST wheels and, as a first time tubeless user, was impressed how's there's no fuss at all. The tyres went on easily by hand and sealed almost entirely without sealant, huge pumps, rim tape etc etc.

Not so convinced by the tyres though. Although it's obviously really cool to get a puncture mid ride, hear a hiss for a few seconds and not even have to stop, it's happening too often (3 or 4 times in the month I've used them). I've now had to use a worm when sealant came out the next morning after my last puncture when pumping back up to 80psi. Time to think about what to replace these with at some point.

Sorry for the ramble but do any other brand of tyres fit as seamlessly with UST rims, perform as well, cost less than a house and puncture a little less?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hutchinsons are supposed to be very similar design and fit. I run the Mavic tyres on my Cosmics and have never had a puncture.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    edited April 2019
    They are made by Hutchinson, so you could try a pair from their range (11 storm). I use the Performance and they are good but you might need the all-season which have more puncture protection. They will be as easy to install as your current ones (I have the same wheels).
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Swapped my Mavic tyres for gp5000 tubeless, got them mounted on the Ksyriums using tyre levers no problem, so far no issues with the tyres after the Mavic tyres constantly puncturing.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    IRC Formula pro or Roadlites from the cycle clinic.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    Mounting with 90% TL(R) tyres shouldn't be a problem with Mavic UST wheels if they don't overstate their tech.

I think what you need is a high-puncture-resistance kind, so I would highly recommend Giant AC0 (I used for commuting and training before on both TLR wheel and TL wheel, which has a similar section to UST). High puncutre resistance, high mileage, medium rolling resistance, good road feeling.

I do NOT recommend Pirelli Cinturato although its puncutre-resistance is extremely high, because my Cinturato (rear) wore out quickly and bulged after only 1500km. I cut the tyre and found that the rubber and fiber separeted completely, and the fiber did totally NOT lie on the center of the tyre.b100fa7dgy1g23ulffxbrj21s03k0hdt.jpg
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    jontymo wrote:
    Swapped my Mavic tyres for gp5000 tubeless, got them mounted on the Ksyriums using tyre levers no problem, so far no issues with the tyres after the Mavic tyres constantly puncturing.

Strange as my Yksion Pro UST have never had an issue in 12 months of riding in wet and dry and over gritted roads.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited April 2019
    I like the Mavic tyres too and I am the IRC importer. The only issue I have with them I get twice the mileage from an IRC tyre for similar cost to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    philthy3 wrote:
    jontymo wrote:

Strange as my Yksion Pro UST have never had an issue in 12 months of riding in wet and dry and over gritted roads.

Even punctured on York raceway with a small piece of flint, surprised me that they are so soft, that’s when I decided on the gp5000’s, have the IRC Roadlites on my original wheels with no issues during the 2.5kmiles they have been on.