Roubaix time?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,118
edited June 2019 in Road buying advice
So, want noo bike, discs, ideally Campag.

But. I am now 50. Starting to feel old in my joints (rheumatism/arthritis in my hands, eg) and finding back and shoulders aching after a couple of hours.

Is it time for a more upright steed, Roubaix style? Current bike is a Cinelli, pretty racy geo, which I love, but it's not cosseting (23mm tyres max). Sigh...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    How many new bike posts are you going to start?
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,257
    Time to go custom methinks.
  • secretsam
    How many new bike posts are you going to start?

How many am I up to? I've lost count

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    3 maybe 4 this year
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Only you can answer these questions. Race bikes can be comfortable too. I'm not flexible and I can't get close to touching my toes yet I can sit in a race position for a long time.

If the right position it's right. There is an arc in which you will be comfortable in.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • secretsam
    3 maybe 4 this year

Well, I'm thinking of buying a new bike.

Thanks for keeping count.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    I'm sympathetic because for some of us buying a new bike is not an annual thing so if we drop a few grand on a bike we want it to be right. I'm similar in terms of finding rough roads a bit sore on my hand (my left thumb joint has an old old football injury) and I've considered something like a Trek Domane with its isospeed tech but yes noticed the new roubaix has some kind of suspension in the headset.

I guess I'd want to know that these things aren't marketing bs before buying into them. I'm always suspicious of bike tests as the journo must be desperate for something new to write. I've actually found getting back on my race bike (Neil Pryde Bura SL) more comfy than the Genesis CdF I've been rolling round on over winter. It's just a bit more agile so easier to avoid or hop over imperfections or potholes and even though the CdF is steel I've a feeling the disc fork which I suppose has to be chunky to withstand the forces from the brake isn't the most forgiving.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Hey if you want a new bike - great - no need to justify it !!

I would come at it from 2 angles though - work on your flexibility (pilates, yoga) as well as getting a new bike.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The new roubaix is supposed to be one of the best bikes of the year, offering comfort yet also being very aero.

Whatever bike you choose make sure it can take wider tyres as that will also make a difference to comfort.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    FWIW I’ve ridden a Tarmac for the last three years in a 54cm. I have been very happy with it and considered it very comfortable and a perfect fit.

Last month I bought a Roubaix in a 56cm to mirro the reach of the Tarmac. After a month of riding the Roubaix I swung my leg over the Tarmac and could not believe the difference. I know you get used to bikes and their geometry but the Tarmac feels far too aggressive for me now whereas the Roubaix feel a just right. Strange!
  • secretsam
    I'm sympathetic because for some of us buying a new bike is not an annual thing so if we drop a few grand on a bike we want it to be right.

Thanks - current road bike is from 2011 so is pretty well used, only has clearance for 23mm tyres also! :shock:

• sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    BMXboy10 wrote:
    FWIW I’ve ridden a Tarmac for the last three years in a 54cm. I have been very happy with it and considered it very comfortable and a perfect fit.

Last month I bought a Roubaix in a 56cm to mirro the reach of the Tarmac. After a month of riding the Roubaix I swung my leg over the Tarmac and could not believe the difference. I know you get used to bikes and their geometry but the Tarmac feels far too aggressive for me now whereas the Roubaix feel a just right. Strange!
    I have had a M in a Focus Cayo 2.0 since 2015. I have just got a Roubaix frame. Looking at it to my bike, the stem would look to be 20 mm higher off the ground. My question is, when the future shock is working, it might drop down 5 to 10mm anyway. I could always get a 12 dec stem and for 100mm long, will drop around 20mm. /not sure would this look s**t.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I returned to road cycling aged 50. That was 12 years ago and most drop bar bikes were race geometry, skinny tyres, and no mudguard mounts.

These days the world's your oyster, there are plenty of endurance bikes with taller front ends and shorter top tubes, so don't restrict yourself to a Roubaix. I'd prioritise bikes with suitable geometry but which take much bigger tyres. That's a far simpler way of achieving comfort than fancy proprietary headsets and stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    SecretSam wrote:
    But. I am now 50. Starting to feel old in my joints (rheumatism/arthritis in my hands, eg) and finding back and shoulders aching after a couple of hours.

You seem to take for granted that being 50 means a decline with aches and pains. I think you need to reduce the inflammation in your body, whether it is by means of an healthier diet or by losing weight or whatever it takes, it seems to me the priority over getting a new bike...
    left the forum March 2023