different brands of CF wheels

bhartwig
bhartwig Posts: 3
edited April 2019 in Road general
I'm just beginning to check into some 50-60mm CF wheels for my Giant road bike. Can anybody explain what the difference is between some of the brands and their prices? For example, I can get a CF wheelset from Ican or Hunt for $600-800 which seems reasonable. On the other end of things, I can spend $1,000 on ONE wheel from Zipp or HED...why the huge price difference?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Zipp and Hed make their wheels in the US with associated higher costs, do wind tunnel testing and other R&D etc. Ican etc have the manufacturing in China, generally all using similar moulds, with lower costs. You get to choose whether those things matter to you.

Hunt don't get great results in wind tunnel tests by the way, and are more expensive than the direct from China options. Of the direct from China options, Light Bicycle generally seem to get about the best reviews, with Farsports, Carbonzone and a few others not far behind.
  • kirk72
    kirk72 Posts: 9
    My Prime black edition wheels seem superb since riding from last July. I went d or the 50mm left the rear on all the time and switch out the front for a stock giant slr 35mm dependant on the wind. Basically most of the time since getting them until the last few days. To be honest up To 15mph wind there's no real problem. Beyond that you can feel crossword a tad more but not dangerously so.

Not sure if it's placebo or the fact I'm now running on a slightly more aero frame but from my giant with 35mm to oltre (xr3) with the 50mm on I seem to be averaging 1.5mph for the same route in similar conditions over 40 to 60 miles.
  • kirk72
    kirk72 Posts: 9
    Forgot to the braking doesn't seem quite as good as the giant slr carbons and makes a loud high pitch screetch like a banshee. Which i don't mind as at least folks know when your braking.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    hunt re massively overpriced and not that great - see discussions passim. no better that farsport or carbonzone at half the price - which they shouldn't be as they are all made of the exactly the same bits.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bhartwig
    bhartwig Posts: 3
    Thanks everybody... gives me something to think about now