decent bibs required but not silly money

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi.

Anyone found any decent middle distance bibs 40-70 milers that wont break the bank.

Bought some Endura FS260 pro last week, but typically this years cut are smaller than ever so got a refund. Last year I was in a medium, bought 2019 medium as in stock and used to the size but would not go over the knees. Sizing seems odd, but all made in China. Tiny.

So looking for something again, £50 - £70 ish that others might find agreeable. So. much. stuff. out.there. Quite like a high front around the 'core' unlike Assos which are cut below the belly button.

Thanks !

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    These are what I went for last time round.

20% off is a bonus!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-bib-shorts-1/
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Try Galibier, plenty of options there in your price range.
    https://galibier.cc/shorts-tights-suits/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lusso. unbeatable in their price range.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dhb Aeron from Wiggle. Fantastic shorts.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Galibier, Chapeau, Pactimo, La Passione - the latter 3 you may need to get lucky in a sale.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Sports Pursuit have bargains in bibshorts from time to time, my latest purchase was a pair of De Marchi - Mens Fisher Subaru Bib Shorts which feel to be a summer short as they feel thinner than other shorts I've got.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mrb123
    Daniel B wrote:
    Galibier, Chapeau, Pactimo, La Passione - the latter 3 you may need to get lucky in a sale.

A code gets you 30% off at Pactimo so would get you the Ascent Vector bibs for £70.
  • Might be that I have an odd shaped butt or something but I find the DHB bibs not as comfortable as the cheap TENN pair I have. What's comfortable for one will be bad news for others, especially for such a crucial item. Unfortunately you'll just have to buy and try. Not a great answer but it's true.
  • nogs
    nogs Posts: 5
    Decathlon bib shorts have worked for me over the winter on a turbo trainer. Just picked up a new pair that fit a bit better for the summer as another set to avoid washing every day.

Chapeau bib shorts are nice and comfortable but a bit more expensive.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    MrB123 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

A code gets you 30% off at Pactimo so would get you the Ascent Vector bibs for £70.

Do you have an active code?
  • mrb123
    jontymo wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

You have PM.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    You could always buy a large from Endura. :D
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    rafletcher wrote:

Well when I had the option my shop could not get stock but thanks though.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    MrB123 wrote:
    jontymo wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

You have PM.

Cheers buddy, pm’d back
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    rafletcher wrote:

Well when I had the option my shop could not get stock but thanks though.

So buy direct like I did.? I agree re getting them on tho, the silicone grippers are sticky, and the shorts are tight on the thigh. But I like that, and I turn the grippers up when I put the shorts on, then turn them down when everything is snug :D
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Recently picked up some from decathlon, they even have a pocket on the right leg like the Rapha ones that are £70 more. Going to give them a whirl in the morning.
  • I've bought a few pairs of the Rivelo Honister bib shorts from Sportpursuit.

49.99 when they're on sale and I personally find them very comfortable and the quality is great.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Are the ones on eBay at £8 new or £15 fdx/didoo or the castelli knock offs Amy good anyone know or are they too cheap and not good for a 50 mile weekly club runs?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Are the ones on eBay at £8 new or £15 fdx/didoo or the castelli knock offs Amy good anyone know or are they too cheap and not good for a 50 mile weekly club runs?

I would very much doubt it.

Super budget, you probably want to get lucky with planet x shorts in ine of their dfs sales, decathlon or dhb potentially, or I gather Tenn items get reasonable reviews.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Rapha or Castelli, bought in the sale or at the archive store are good value. I’d say a £100, or less, pair of PT or Castelli bibs will out last two £50 pairs of Decathlon shorts. Three years ago I bought some Rapha Sky branded bibs for under £60. Similar bargains will be available when Sky switch to Ineos branding.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Sportful Monza. have done liege Bastogne liege in them twice. they look tatty after a few washes but actually are very comfy.

the issue here is what works for me may not work for you.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    Endura on offer at Leisure Lakes:

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/8963/ ... black.aspx

Less than £40
    Wilier Izoard XP