Torque wrench stopped working

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited April 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
My 5-25Nm torque wrench by IceToolz has stopped working. I have had it a few months over two years. I used it last week to torque the stem and it worked fine. Today nothing! It's just solid, no clicks at any torque setting. The barrel adjuster moves up and down just fine, it just doesn't do what torque wrenches are supposed to do.

My first use today was to tighten a left hand thread to 7Nm, probably the first time I have ever used it on a LH thread. The wrench didn't work then and has not worked since. It has not had much use at all, only on carbon components. It has been stored inside its plastic bag, inside the preformed box it comes with.

Any tips as to how to fix this, or is it goosed?

I've looked, but I can't even find out who I bought it from. :oops:

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It needs feeding Steve, WD40 is its preference. Probably seized up a bit if it's been in a polythene bag, best to wrap them in some tissue or put some silica gel bags in before putting it in the bag.

Or it's just simply kaput.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    robertpb wrote:
    It needs feeding Steve, WD40 is its preference. Probably seized up a bit if it's been in a polythene bag, best to wrap them in some tissue or put some silica gel bags in before putting it in the bag.

Or it's just simply kaput.

Nothing to lose then! Any suggestions as to where to spray it?
  • steve_sordy
    Stop the press!

I have just been reading the info in the box and stuck ON the box was something I'd not seen before. It says "One-way Torque Wrench" with a graphic showing a tick one way and an X the other way. Hmmm.

So I bought a torque wrench that cannot be used on left hand threads! Who knew there was even such a thing?

It seems that I have either upset it or completely knackered it.

Unless someone out there knows how to reset it, I'll have to open it up and see what can be seen.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You need a double sided drive side to normally be left and right hand.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Stop the press!

I have just been reading the info in the box and stuck ON the box was something I'd not seen before. It says "One-way Torque Wrench" with a graphic showing a tick one way and an X the other way. Hmmm.

So I bought a torque wrench that cannot be used on left hand threads! Who knew there was even such a thing?

It seems that I have either upset it or completely knackered it.

Unless someone out there knows how to reset it, I'll have to open it up and see what can be seen.

Most torque wrenches are one way. It's the mega money ones that aren't.

I've just read a thread from a chap who has stripped the threads on a TVR axle, with a similar cause...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er