Fizik Saddle Query

hypster
hypster Posts: 1,229
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at Fizik saddles to potentially buy one but am a little confused about their spine concept and saddle fitment. I'm quite flexible so would appear to be categorised as a Snake under their system but the Arione saddle in that category comes as 142mm in the widest fitting.

My sitbone measurement however by Specialized puts me requiring a 150mm saddle which would appear to be an Antares Large at 152mm which is categorised as Chameleon.

My inclination is to go for the Antares as I have always used a wider saddle but wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the spine concept thing. Plenty of inflexible people riding Ariones without problems and vice versa.

I downloaded the app that lets you measure your flexibility by holding your phone to your chest and leaning forward. On the first try I came out as a bull, then I did a couple of hamstring stretches and morphed into a snake on the next try!

If you know what width you need then I'd go with that -you'd be on a chameleon saddle then anyway so not as if it would be the other end of the scale in terms of your flexibility.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I would take the spine concept stuff with a pinch of salt. I have high flexibility and can easily touch my toes so come under the snake category. I test rode a bike with an Aliante Vs and was so impressed that I bought one - yet that comes under the bull category for inflexible riders. Trying out a saddle for yourself is the best way of deciding what suits.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Spine concept theory is rubbish according to me.

I love the arione but I'm really not flexible so it shouldn't be for me.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like the Antares for me then.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I ride the Arione and have tried the Antares which i found to be the most uncomfortable saddle ever so much so i rode have a long ride out of the saddle, my Arione is now old and split so thinking about going back to a selle italia SLR superflow

i'm no racing snake but can put my palms flat on the floor and stay practically horizon on the drops
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.