Stem lengths for a TCR

scotthunter
scotthunter Posts: 140
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Anyone with a Giant TCR tell me what is the normal stem length for someone 180cm / 5'11 riding a ML (2018) size Giant TCR? I was in between M and ML and went for ML, which suits me as I found that my knees felt too close to the ends of the drops when I was stood up on the M. But I changed the stem from 110mm to 100mm as I felt too stretched. This made a big difference but thinking of going down to 90mm as I still don't seem to have a natural bend in my elbows when on the hoods, which is apparently what you should have, so I'm guessing I could do a shorter stem still?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, we can't really tell you as everyone is different, but I can confirm that 10mm can make a big difference.

I went from a 110mm to 120mm having thought I might even need a 130 but the 120 was plenty - absolutely transformed my comfort on the bike.

Spare stem sizes are always a good thing to have on the shelf. Worst that happens is you go back to 100mm and have a spare 90mm stem...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    everyone is different so just try it and see how it goes.

you don't even need to have a spare 90 at the end of the experiment as you can just send it back.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I'm your height and ride a medium TCR with a 90mm stem.. Changed from a 100mm post bike fit.
  • scotthunter
    jp1970 wrote:
    I'm your height and ride a medium TCR with a 90mm stem.. Changed from a 100mm post bike fit.

Are you riding a relatively recent TCR? Interesting that you are 5'11 and had to shorten the stem on a M size. Giant's size chart puts riders of our height in between M and ML so it surprises me that you had to go from 100 to 90. Did you slam the stem as well?
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    I have a Giant TCR in ML with a 110 stem and find it ok at 5’11. I do feel kinda stretched but it’s not an issue. My friend has the same bike in the same size and is a similar height to me. He has fitted a 90mm stem and feels much better on the bike.
  • I have the same bike, same height too , and I’m riding a 110 stem and getting neck ache.. it’s odd because I’ve had similar stems before , anyone any ideas/advice?
    I’ve lowered the stem a bit but it’s nothing like slammed... I’m neatly 60 !!
  • I have the same bike, same height too , and I’m riding a 110 stem and getting neck ache.. it’s odd because I’ve had similar stems before , anyone any ideas/advice?
    I’ve lowered the stem a bit but it’s nothing like slammed... I’m almost 60 !!
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I have the same bike, same height too , and I’m riding a 110 stem and getting neck ache.. it’s odd because I’ve had similar stems before , anyone any ideas/advice?

The M/L TCR is effectively a 40cm reach (just shy of it) bike and 57cm top tube. It is a tad longer than its rivals such as the Tarmac which has the same reach but a mildly shorter TT. The TCR uses 73 degree matching seat tube and head tube angles which I think are slack for a race bike and despite the small looking rear triangle it is a deceptively long bike with a very very stiff frame/fork combo.

Anything over 60 miles on mine would give me neck ache too, but a 90mm stem can help and should help bring that reach in and a nice chubby carbon stem would be nice. Worth noting that the seat post clamp can be spun 180 degrees to gain more reach so long as your pedal stroke is not affected. Carbon bars can help with neck ache too of course, but that is another story. Hope that helps.

My mate works in a Giant concept store and claims Giant say that ML bike is designed for a 6 foot rider at behest of the pro teams who wanted something else other than a classic medium or large option. I dispute it however and cite the tarmac and emonda as geo examples as Spesh and Trek say 56cm bikes are 5'9 and above. But Giants size charts of out of whack with the other stuff out there, but certainly for many UK riders all body no legs, a medium large the better bike with a 90mm stem.
  • scotthunter
    I have the same bike, same height too , and I’m riding a 110 stem and getting neck ache.. it’s odd because I’ve had similar stems before , anyone any ideas/advice?

The M/L TCR is effectively a 40cm reach (just shy of it) bike and 57cm top tube. It is a tad longer than its rivals such as the Tarmac which has the same reach but a mildly shorter TT. The TCR uses 73 degree matching seat tube and head tube angles which I think are slack for a race bike and despite the small looking rear triangle it is a deceptively long bike with a very very stiff frame/fork combo.

Anything over 60 miles on mine would give me neck ache too, but a 90mm stem can help and should help bring that reach in and a nice chubby carbon stem would be nice. Worth noting that the seat post clamp can be spun 180 degrees to gain more reach so long as your pedal stroke is not affected. Carbon bars can help with neck ache too of course, but that is another story. Hope that helps.

My mate works in a Giant concept store and claims Giant say that ML bike is designed for a 6 foot rider at behest of the pro teams who wanted something else other than a classic medium or large option. I dispute it however and cite the tarmac and emonda as geo examples as Spesh and Trek say 56cm bikes are 5'9 and above. But Giants size charts of out of whack with the other stuff out there, but certainly for many UK riders all body no legs, a medium large the better bike with a 90mm stem.

I did test ride a medium at the bike shop but thought it felt cramped, and was worried that my legs were too close to the ends of handlebar when I was stood up on a climb. Based on what I have read, I have ordered a 90mm Contact SL stem - I looked at the carbon SLR stem but it's double the price! I'll probably also take a spacer out under the stem while I'm at it.

Anyone fancy buying a 100mm Contact SL stem off me? Still looks new.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255

I did test ride a medium at the bike shop but thought it felt cramped, and was worried that my legs were too close to the ends of handlebar when I was stood up on a climb. Based on what I have read, I have ordered a 90mm Contact SL stem - I looked at the carbon SLR stem but it's double the price! I'll probably also take a spacer out under the stem while I'm at it.

Anyone fancy buying a 100mm Contact SL stem off me? Still looks new.

Half the battle. The medium drops reach by 1.5cm, but feels a much smaller bike overall. I too went through the process of down sizing last year and hated the medium where as I loved the medium large. Power data backed it up too, really tricky getting power down on a smaller bike. I should have gone 90mm stem though and sometimes the simple answer is the hardest one to see. I basically loved the M/L the TCR but conclude for me, Giant geo not right. It can happen. 90mm stem is your answer I think.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just bend forwards at the hips/waist if you want your elbows to bend a bit.

#core strength
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    jp1970 wrote:

Are you riding a relatively recent TCR? Interesting that you are 5'11 and had to shorten the stem on a M size. Giant's size chart puts riders of our height in between M and ML so it surprises me that you had to go from 100 to 90. Did you slam the stem as well?

No it's a few years old.. Circa 2013
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Svetty wrote:
    Just bend forwards at the hips/waist if you want your elbows to bend a bit.

#core strength

This is what my bike fitter got me to do on my medium TCR. Also, Pulled the saddle back a notch partly to protect a no AcL/sutured right knee meniscus. 5f 9 and short legged. 90cm stem. Just feels right.
  • scotthunter
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Just out of interest, how low do you have your stem? I have gradually been reducing the number of spacers from underneath the stem so I now have about the same thickness of spacers above the stem as below, so half slammed. This also has the effect of slightly increasing the reach due to the head tube angle. The bike still feels comfortable and fast (albeit with a tendency to lock out my elbows - which I am hoping the shorter stem will address). Do people even ride sportives or to century rides with half or fully slammed stems or should this set up be for racing only?
  • Thanks all for the suggestions. Just out of interest, how low do you have your stem? I have gradually been reducing the number of spacers from underneath the stem so I now have about the same thickness of spacers above the stem as below, so half slammed. This also has the effect of slightly increasing the reach due to the head tube angle. The bike still feels comfortable and fast (albeit with a tendency to lock out my elbows - which I am hoping the shorter stem will address). Do people even ride sportives or to century rides with half or fully slammed stems or should this set up be for racing only?

What height you set your stem at will depend on factors like your flexibility, comfort and your interest in reducing aero drag.

I moved a 5mm spacer or two from above to below the stem on my Cube over the winter while doing turbo trainer sessions, for a bit of extra comfort and no aero losses, 10mm spacer above and 35mm below currently... I will gradually (so as not to upset my weak lower back with a major change all at once) start moving them above the stem sometime soon, once this current lurgy has gone and I start trying to rebuild my fitness levels from a month or so ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I cured my issue by lowering my saddle 1.5cms and turning the bars up a tad... no pain at all!
    Sometimes, very rarely but sometimes you can find a fix that actually costs nothing!!
    No doubt there will be a trade off/injury elsewhere somewhere down the line, it’s Karma!!!!
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I tried a 100mm stem my XL tcr advanced pro for a few months and found it to twitchy for my liking so went back to a 120mm length stem