Help buying steel frame

TrackGoat789
TrackGoat789 Posts: 17
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hey all,

Ive since moved to a college town and I feel simply less safe on my fixed gear bike with the abundance of unsafe driving. I also now have a 6.5 mile commute instead of a single mile and so I am now looking to buy an old 90's steel road bike to upgrade with the new shimano 105 group-set (in around the 90's the rear spacing was increased to 130). The ride of a steel frame has always been outrageously comfortable and its durability has stood true. My budget for the bike is 500 (bike only, this does not include the money set aside for the groupset). I'm just not quite sure what old bikes to look at because I know there are 100's of different tubings, many of which are simple pipeline.
If it helps, I live in Indianapolis, Indiana. Im not quite sure what to look for on craigslist.

Much Thanks,
Jacob

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    If it's a commuting hack, why bother too much about the frame? Almost anything will do fopr 6.5 miles, gas pipe included. I'd be tempted by something like a steel MTB running Deore and fitted with slicks and fenders. Especially as "new 105" will set you back 2/3 of your budget.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    If it's a commuting hack, why bother too much about the frame? Almost anything will do fopr 6.5 miles, gas pipe included. I'd be tempted by something like a steel MTB running Deore and fitted with slicks and fenders. Especially as "new 105" will set you back 2/3 of your budget.

I would like to casually race. I know it sounds odd, but since I've dislocated both shoulders playing rugby I still desperately want a sport. I also forgot to mention my sizing is 56 cm. 500$ is the budget for the bike ONLY. the new groupset is excluded.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Er that isn't a steel frame is it?

And it doesn't have drop handlebars, which is fairly traditional on a roadbike, which might imply hybrid geometry.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    rafletcher wrote:

I would like to casually race. I know it sounds odd, but since I've dislocated both shoulders playing rugby I still desperately want a sport. I also forgot to mention my sizing is 56 cm. 500$ is the budget for the bike ONLY. the new groupset is excluded.

OK, then I'd suggest you look for Reynolds 531C as a minimum, or 653 or 753 for better framesets (or their equivalent in Columbus or Dedaccia tubing). That'll be a good set for racing. There is an 853 variant, but I don't know when it was introduced - I had 753 around 1990.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Ditch the fixed sprocket for a single speed one with freewheel, fit brakes and you'll feel safer... don't need gears in Inidanapolis
    left the forum March 2023