New frameset - Compatability

FZinga
FZinga Posts: 5
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new frameset in the £4-600 range, lightweight alloy/alu is fine for this, preferable to carbon in fact as it's a commuter bike.

I wondered if anyone had any guides to ensuring what I buy is compatible to my components? I can't seem to find much of use online.

I am replacing a (sadly cracked) Cannondale Synapse 2017 alloy frame (w/carbon forks), which recently had a Mavic Aksium wheelset and a Shimano Ultegra 10-speed cassette fitted. It's got Tiagra disc brakes.

Thanks for any guidance.

Comments

• poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    If you're replacing a Synapse frame your bottom bracket is most likely BB30 or BB30a, so for that reason I'd consider another bike from the same manufacturer. If I'm right in thinking the Synapse has a very narrow seatpost too which not many bikes have - 25.4mm maybe? Another reason to look towards Cannondale I guess?

Check if you've got flat or post mount brakes, and if you have a band-on or braze-on front derailleur too.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The main thing to check - assuming you're buying a frame and fork - is the bottom bracket, and that the new frame can be fitted with one that your existing chainset can be used with, so it's the chainset that's the important bit (although a new one could be sourced relatively inexpensively if needs be). If you're keeping your forks then the headset on the new frame needs to be the same sizes/type, and your steerer needs to be long enough. And make sure the type of disc caliper you have can be mounted to the new frame - post mount calipers can't be retrofitted to frames that take flat mount calipers, but the reverse is ok, with adpators. A new seatpost might be required. Oh, and check the front mech mount - it it's a braze on yo'll be ok, if it's band on, then make sure the seatubes are the same diameter, or that you can get shims/adaptors to suit. HTH.

EDIT: X-post with above.