Damaged Chain - Which option?

AlFoxy
AlFoxy Posts: 4
edited April 2019 in Workshop
I have a Dawes Hybrid/Touring Bike. The original Shimano Deore chain/cassette lasted 10 years . Last year I had them replaced with a BBB chain and cassette.
There's very little wear but a chain link has now come lose/been damaged so I need to replace it.
Do I:
1 Just replace the BB chain.
2 Replace it with a Shimano chain
3 Replace the chain and cassette with Shimano
4 Another option.

Note that the Shimano Deore doesn't appear to be available anymore - so I'd need to find the nearest substitute - any ideas?

The BBB has a quick link which would be useful, but I'm disappointed the chain has failed after less than year, although I suspect it was damaged when the chain came off.

Thanks for any help - I have a trip to France planned so need to get it sorted!

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Replace the chain. Make isn't that important, but Shimano are relatively expensive. I tend to use SRAM, KMC or Wipperman, along with the appropriate quick/power link.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just throw a KMC on it and its sorted.

why mess around with it for the sake of £15/20?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Start by just replacing the chain. If the new chain slips badly under load it suggests the cassette is worn and should be replaced too.

Make of chain is less important than getting the right width. I'm guessing it's 8 or 9 speed? So you're likely only spending a tenner.

KMC chains come with a quick link which is handy. Whatever you buy you'll have to shorten it to the right length using a chain tool.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    Your old chain lasted 10 years?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    monkimark wrote:

If you adopt the approach of running the drivetrain into the ground you'd be surprised how long it all lasts as it wears out together. I had a MTB with a 3x8 speed LX drivetrain which lasted a similar amount of time. I'm glad it was completely shagged by that point because it got stolen.

And back in the day my old 10 speed racer never had a new chain or freewheel despite it being my only means of transport. Chunky chain, steel chainrings and sprockets with proper teeth probably helped.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can't you just get a new quick link ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    monkimark wrote:

why so surprised?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D