Riding Partner...

Mountaincoffee
Mountaincoffee Posts: 129
edited April 2019 in Road general
Hello.

I’ve recently relocated from Settle to Preston and I’m looking for like minded people to ride with.

I’ve been with a few of the clubs but find they just don’t offer routes/cater for people who enjoy riding the same terrain as me.

I’m hoping to find someone or a group on here who enjoy hills and challenging rides with good amounts of climbing. 1000m per 30 miles or so. I used to frequent Hebden Bridge, The Dales etc but since I moved and my riding mates moved away I’m struggling with lack of motivation and ambition/general want for more interaction on my rides.

So is there anyone on here looking or know or something similar. I like to ride 50-80 miles with 3000m or so of climbing.

Thanks in advance.
A Lawton

Comments

• I find no particular club will focus on your exact requirements. Join in with them and find a few like minded riders to split off with who will do your thing happily.
    The trough of Bowland , south lakes , Pendle hill , Whalley , Rivington , Pleasington , al, around Parbold hill , Salmesbury bottoms , should all be in range.
    I ride these , except the lakes , from Ormskirk. Plenty of climbing to be had .
  • I'm on the coast south of Preston, and am in the process of finalising a couple of routes in the 65/70 mile plus 3000+ ft of climbing region. One based in Kirkham and one from Clitheroe.
    I've just done another couple, one in N Lakes and one in S Lakes. I have a few more based in the Arnside/Lancaster/Trough areas.

I usually ride on my own as I too struggle to find anyone who wants to do my sort of thing.

I can let you have GPX files if you like.
  • @part time waster... you in Ormskirk? You on Strava?
  • Thanks for the replies. In terms of routes I’m okay. I’m
    Reasonable at planning routes that climb plenty I’m
    More looking for someone to enjoy them with.
    A Lawton
  • No strava or social media for me. Just ride when time allows , routes with mates or on my own . Usually 6.30 am sat and Sunday , currently on Anglesey , the best riding I have ever encountered. Traffic free lanes , great tarmac , bends , twists and climbs non stop. Not even 2 hrs away from home. Might not be as sunny as Mallorca but more enjoyable riding for me.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    Preston Grasshoppers has a very well attended cycling club...Hoppers Rollers..an added bonus if you like rugby as well.

Are you working in Preston? required to attend Networking events?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Thanks for the replies. In terms of routes I’m okay. I’m
    Reasonable at planning routes that climb plenty I’m
    More looking for someone to enjoy them with.

Does the club you ride with not have a facebook page?

I'd pop a post on there saying what kind of routes you like to do, maybe pop a link up to one, and ask if anyone is interested in joining you.

I am a member of a club, but went for the first time on a group ride run by my LBS - it was great fun, and met loads of people, some (who like me) enjoy hills, so once I know people a bit better, will pop a post up, and see who wants to go and attack some hills :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Hello.

No I work in Clitheroe. Most my networking tends to happen in the South. My old club did have a FB page but the lads I rode with moved away and the club was left with...riders with a more sedate riding style.

I loved riding with the guys but sadly none of them are around here any more. I don't mind riding solo but it's just more fun sometimes to ride with another or two.
    A Lawton
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    If you can get away with blagging networking to your boss there is a monthly afternoon networking ride out of the green jersey bike shop in Clitheroe..usually 20-25 miles or so but nothing too difficult. It is organised by PM&M Accountants. I can pm you the guys email who organises it if you want. This months is Wednesday next week. The group is usually a mix of accountants, bankers, solicitors and business owners.
  • I ride with Harry Middleton C.C , out of the bicycle lounge in Ormskirk. There are at least 200 members and usually 5 groups of approx 15 + riders . All ability catered for and very inclusive , mid week rides. See their web site and forum. I believe lots of rides get sorted on F.book.
    There are plenty of small groups of like minded riders planning routes. Rides go up to Scorton , Whaley etc.
    It's free to join, just insurance is required. The standard is pretty high if you pick a fast or race group.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    50 miles with 3000m of climbing? not surprised you dont have many takers.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    50 miles with 3000m of climbing? not surprised you dont have many takers.

Hammer Nail Head.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D