Campagnolo equipped Italian road bikes - where are they all?

sam1176uk
sam1176uk Posts: 524
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
Been looking for a new bike for a while, preferably one with Campag (anything from Centaur upwards) and preferably an Italian frame manufacturer. Am i looking in the wrong places but where are they all??
In an ideal world i'd like one which was actually made in Italy (eg De Rosa Protos or Age). I would also prefer to find one with a reasonable discount.
So far i have only managed to find a nice De Rosa Protos (which has Ultegra) or a steel De Rosa Age (with Campag Centaur).

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Thanks

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Try with the Bianchi, its also a FB group of the owners, and some times you can find very good deals there, the name of the group is bianchi owners club uk & i-ride bianchi
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Cippolini
    Cinelli
    Colnago
    Willier
    Basso

Off the top of my head
    They should all have Campag offerings, just depends how much you want to kill your wallet.
  • sam1176uk
    Most of the ones i am seeing tend to have Ultegra, or if they do have Chorus/Potenza then they are hideously expensive!
    The De Rosa Age is nice but it has a steel frame (and i have one already so would prefer carbon).
    The Protos is lovely but it has Ultegra...
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    You can get frames from all the manufactures mentioned above, why not build one up yourself?
  • sam1176uk
    Joe Totale wrote:
    You can get frames from all the manufactures mentioned above, why not build one up yourself?

Expensive way to do it?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    sam1176uk wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Expensive way to do it?

Potenza is pretty competitively priced, it's no more expensive than Ultegra:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cam ... prod149215

Here's a decent priced Colnago frame available in all sizes, no idea if it's made in Italy or not:

https://www.merlincycles.com/colnago-cl ... 39894.html

Add some Zonda's and finishing kit and it shouldn't be much more than £2000, for comparison the complete bike at CRC with Ultegra and worse wheels is £3599:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/col ... prod183829
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    sam1176uk wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

Expensive way to do it?

Maybe a bit more, but youll get exactly the mix your after. Also means you can get a frame groupset combo that isn't available I nearly put a full eTap red on a Cinelli Veltrix, you cant get that in the shops.
  • sam1176uk
    Thanks for the help, that seems like a good idea actually, although i'm not too keen on that particular frame but i could find something similar.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    As above, buy a frameset and build it up with your Campagnolo groupset of choice and other parts (or buy all the bits and get someone to do it for you). The last bike I bought complete was in 2011 (Wilier Izoard) but since then it’s been frames. If you spend a wee bit of time looking at web store sales, discount codes and eBay, you can easily come in under an off the peg bike.
  • Build your own bike up ? Get the basics right , decent frame then the groupset you want. Save up for good wheels and bits if you fancy them later. I sometimes buy tat off eBay to get it going. Then replace later . Off the peg bikes always end up getting upgraded and changed in my garage anyway. So a waste of money. Depends on your preference I suppose.
    Have fun , it's only a bike.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    As above, buy a frameset and build it up with your Campagnolo groupset of choice and other parts (or buy all the bits and get someone to do it for you). The last bike I bought complete was in 2011 (Wilier Izoard) but since then it’s been frames. If you spend a wee bit of time looking at web store sales, discount codes and eBay, you can easily come in under an off the peg bike.

Deffo this though it might take 6months to assemble the components at a price youre able/willing to pay. much more fun and then the bike is YOURS.
  • sam1176uk
    Sounds like a plan, best get looking for a nice frame then :D
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Check out Epic Cycles website. They have a Bianchi Infinito CV Classic with Potenza for £4K. If you don't want to spend that much they offer a Bianchi Sempre Pro with Centaur for just over £1900

https://epic-cycles.co.uk/bianchi
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    arlowood wrote:
    Check out Epic Cycles website. They have a Bianchi Infinito CV Classic with Potenza for £4K. If you don't want to spend that much they offer a Bianchi Sempre Pro with Centaur for just over £1900

https://epic-cycles.co.uk/bianchi

Well with the sprint on the sale, i wouldnt touch the sempre, since is replacing the later.

Infinito its an amazing bike fast and agile for an endurance.
  • arlowood
    YiannisM wrote:

Well with the sprint on the sale, i wouldnt touch the sempre, since is replacing the later.

Infinito its an amazing bike fast and agile for an endurance.

The OP is after Campagnolo equipped bikes - as far as I can establish, the Sprint is only offered with 105 or Ultegra.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Ive just built up a Cipollini MCM with Chorus EPS. By shopping around I managed to get the Chorus EPS for £700. There are bargains to be had if you shop around.
  • arlowood
    sam1176uk wrote:
    Sounds like a plan, best get looking for a nice frame then :D
    How about a Bianchi Infinito CV frameset. @cij28 is selling a 55cm size in the classifieds.

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13104744

If the size suits it could be an ideal start for a campag build
  • neilkav1
    neilkav1 Posts: 91
    Sport pursuit have some nice looking Cippolini framesets at the moment - could be a good base for build

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/mcip ... sday.%20(1)&spt=705c93d9e12cfd3a629c41fcaae29d41a127ee71970cd90fe486f44403d1a9fa
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    neilkav1 wrote:
    Sport pursuit have some nice looking Cippolini framesets at the moment - could be a good base for build

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/mcip ... sday.%20(1)&spt=705c93d9e12cfd3a629c41fcaae29d41a127ee71970cd90fe486f44403d1a9fa

I've got a NK1K and RB1K and can highly recommend them. Both with Campagnolo Chorus.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    sam1176uk wrote:
    Most of the ones i am seeing tend to have Ultegra, or if they do have Chorus/Potenza then they are hideously expensive!
    The De Rosa Age is nice but it has a steel frame (and i have one already so would prefer carbon).
    The Protos is lovely but it has Ultegra...

It's normal that a whole bike with Campy sells more expensive than that with Shimano at the same level. You can check the price of Shimano groupset on http://www.taobao.com, which should be a little more than the 'factory purchasing price', amazing lower than the retail price. However, Campy is not. I think that's based on the amount.
  • sam1176uk
    Ok so I have narrowed it down to two bikes, both of which are fairly different, so it comes down to performance v classic looks:

De Rosa Âgé - steel frame made in Italy, Campag Chorus groupset, Campag shamal Mille wheel

De Rosa Protos - carbon frame made in Italy, Ultegra groupset, Vision 35 comp wheels (basic)

Both the same price, both made in Italy and fairly stylish. One includes the campag groupset but is steel and may be a touch slower than the carbon bike (although the better wheels may even up the difference)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    My two cents worth - the Protos downtube is not a nice design. It’s a way too big. If you’re seriously considering buying one you need to see it in real life, not off a screen. I personally think it’s ridiculous and kind of dated now, not in a good way. The Age however is a very bonnie bike, but the Mille coating is notoriously bad. I saw a grown man almost in tears after a very wet and gritty sportive after his once stealthy rims looked streaked in silver. Exalith it ain’t.
  • sam1176uk
    I’m edging more towards the Age to be honest, and I was aware of the issues with the shamal mille wheels - I was thinking of selling them and replacing with some handbuilts if I didn’t like the look of them.
  • For anyone who hasn't noticed, Cycle Republic have the 2019 Tifosi Scalare Potenza 11 on half price offer for £899 and the SAVE80 code should take another £80 off.

https://cyclerepublic.com/tifosi-scalare-potenza-11-mens-road-bike-2019.html

The brakes, cassette and chain aren't Campag though.
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited November 2019
    Epoca are made on italy. Sarto is another.

Pinarello are made in china bit get an old steel pinarello like a gavia or stelvio and build it up with a campagnolo groupset and a set of zondas and you will have a lovely bike. In fact

Here's mine with 11 speed record, record pedals and hubs.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • edindevon said:

For anyone who hasn't noticed, Cycle Republic have the 2019 Tifosi Scalare Potenza 11 on half price offer for £899 and the SAVE80 code should take another £80 off.

https://cyclerepublic.com/tifosi-scalare-potenza-11-mens-road-bike-2019.html

The brakes, cassette and chain aren't Campag though.

Tifosi are as italian as Leighton buzzard. That's where they are from. Made in taiwan too. I dont know how design is done here either.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Get a Stelbel

https://stelbel.it/en/

you're welcome
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    I have bought complete bikes for the groupset on flea bay or complete bikes just to get the frame. Sell what you don't want.
    I find that 90% of the time, complete bikes got for less than 40% of their original value and a lot less than if the seller had split it.
    My Willier frame was £350 (used), I furnished it with a second hand Chorus gruppo from a complete bike (sold the frame) which eventually got shifted over to the winter bike whilst slowly replacing everything on it with Record and a set of Eurus hoops (also around the £300 mark 2nd hand. Re did the bearings last year bought from the cycle clinic. The wheels are still good).
    The only items on the Wilier that was bought new was the levers, the seat post and the rear mech.

You can get exactly what you want if you give it time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Might not be your thing but Ribble offer superb vfm.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Cinelli, maybe? Not actually built in Italy, mind. I love mine, if only it had more clearance. And discs. But it's from 2011...

It's just a hill. Get over it.