bent giant talon 29er seat stay

bigjez1972
bigjez1972 Posts: 4
edited April 2019 in MTB general
my talon 29er was ( i Think!) the victim of an attempted theft yesterday. I had it chained up with an Abus lock in a busy bike rack near my local gym. when I returned from my workout the seat was wonky, which i adjuted and rode off. i didn't think much of it, being in a bit of rush. I realised later that the seat stay had been bent, after noticing the rear wheel wasn't spinning well.
my question is, is this repairable and worth claiming on pedal sure insurance?
see pics

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    That's not 'bent' - that's very nearly snapped. No doubt it could be repaired but not easily or cheaply. New frame/bike time - claim for that.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    That's dead. New frame time.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Claim on insurance. That’s what you’re paying the premium for.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I wouldn't to ride a bike with that sort of damage. It looks structually compromised.

You have insurance for a reason. Use it. Maybe get a less appealing bike for leaving unattended?

Also - report it to the Police - they might have othet reports locally and it might be helpful.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    That’s really bloody annoying to say the least, if you have the insurance use it. I’d hope they’d appreciate you having a decent lock stopped the whole bike being nicked.
    I saw a bike locked by Kingston station with an Abus lock that the frame had been completely bent. There was a length of scaffold pole through it they’d obviously used to try and break the lock. The lock was perfectly straight, shame about the bike but it shows how good the locks are.
  • thanks all. i live in Oxford which well known for bicycle theft (as well as its University!). I'll definitely report. I've had two bikes stolen over the last 3 years, and reckon the police could do a lot more to reduce this kind of crime. s
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    bigjez1972 wrote:
    thanks all. i live in Oxford which well known for bicycle theft (as well as its University!)...
    How often has the university been stolen?