Satnav app with user-defined layers

rob190
rob190 Posts: 16
edited April 2019 in Road general
Hi,

I've been using the 'My maps' feature of Google Maps to create routes on a PC which are then displayed on my phone when I'm out riding. I seem to have reached the (rather low) size limit for user-defined maps so I was wondering if there's an alternative, maybe based on OpenStreetMap. I know there are a few apps around (Strava, Locus etc.) but it seems to be very difficult to find out if you can add kml or gpx routes and if so, if there are any limits. I'm only looking for something simple. No need for turn-by-turn directions or anything. I'm using Android.

Rob.

Comments

• perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    I have started use by Komoot, you get the first map for free, but have to pay for extra areas (£18 for whole world). Their website has a lot of user submitted routes and can import GPX etc.

I know you said you don’t need it, but the best feature is the turn by turn navigation. Very useful in places like lanzorotte where you can have it just give out audio directions, leaving you free to enjoy the scenery.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Ride with GPS will accept the import of GPX routes and you can create your own routes. It has OpenStreetMap map layers.
  • rob190
    wongataa wrote:
    Ride with GPS will accept the import of GPX routes and you can create your own routes. It has OpenStreetMap map layers.

Thanks. I tried Ride with GPS but I can only see one path at a time. The data I have is in lots of short segments. The total is probably 200+. Is there a way to display them all at the same time?
  • wongataa
    I don't think so. Can you not merge all the individual segments into one GPX file?
  • rob190
    wongataa wrote:
    I don't think so. Can you not merge all the individual segments into one GPX file?

Not easily as they're sorted by geographic area. Also they are colour-coded (on-road, off-road, footpath etc.).

I asked their tech support for advice and they said it might be possible to create an 'event' with multiple routes. The guy seemed rather puzzled why I would want a general map of cycle paths. I think the app just isn't designed for casual riders like me.
  • rob190
    OK, seems 'GPX Viewer' does what I need. It supports kml files so it retains the colour coding I'd used. (Basic GPX doesn't have colour and I'm not sure if GPX viewer supports the common extensions.)

It's a bit primitive. I had to copy the kml file using USB and it takes quite a while to draw everything the first time but seems fine after that. I had to turn off the start/end icons in settings as there was too much clutter.

Just a shame that all these other super-fancy apps can't do something as basic as display an overlay :-)
  • wongataa
    I suspect that most people don't want a general display of all the routes/paths at once. Generally if you are wanting this sort of app/feature you are wanting to load up one route and follow it.