New tires: Gravel Grinder 38c vs WTB Riddler 37

lukasamdvLJ27cA7
lukasamdvLJ27cA7 Posts: 51
edited April 2019 in Cyclocross
Hey, I use Gravelkings SK 35c on my bike, but looking for some new, also a bit wider for more comfort.
My frame (Planet X XLS, CX bike) allows to use tires in about max. 38-39c (tried Gravelking SK 700x38 / 40-622) and it was max. 
My rims are DT460 with 18 mm internal.

What will be better - Gravel Grinder 38c or WTB Riddler 37?
I ride on dry conditions, most on gravels, forests paths, mixed with pavement. Tires should be fast. 
Grinders looks better, but are a bit more expensive in TL version (it isn't very important for me - I went back to tubes and MAYBE will try tubeless again, but I'm not sure).
​​​​​​​Riddlers are always TL-compatible. 

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    lukasamd wrote:
    Hey, I use Gravelkings SK 35c on my bike, but looking for some new, also a bit wider for more comfort.
    My frame (Planet X XLS, CX bike) allows to use tires in about max. 38-39c (tried Gravelking SK 700x38 / 40-622) and it was max. 
    My rims are DT460 with 18 mm internal.

What will be better - Gravel Grinder 38c or WTB Riddler 37?
    I ride on dry conditions, most on gravels, forests paths, mixed with pavement. Tires should be fast. 
    Grinders looks better, but are a bit more expensive in TL version (it isn't very important for me - I went back to tubes and MAYBE will try tubeless again, but I'm not sure).
    ​​​​​​​Riddlers are always TL-compatible. 

Havent tried the Riddlers but have the 38mm Gravel Grinders in folding, non-tubeless and liked them. Changed them out to TCS 40mm WTB Nano's though, and now run tubeless Gravelking SK 37mm as the Nano's were a touch too wide for my forks...from memory the Gravel Grinders were fine width wise, similar to my SK's. Preferred tubeless for the riding i do though
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've found that the size on the sidewall rarely matches the size they inflate to. I have a 40c WTB Nano on the back wheel that comes up at 44mm with a 42c WTB Resolute on the front that inflates to 43mm both on 23.5mm rims.
    If room is tight it's best to investigate a little further.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"