Tubular Tyres “Advice”

Shaun67
Shaun67 Posts: 219
edited April 2019 in Road buying advice
I’m looking for recommendations on what tubular tyres people are using and favouring ?

Not wanting to spend the earth, looking for a good all rounder if that is possible.

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Continental competition. thats it. Vittoria corsa control is nicer to ride on but will puncture more easily so back to the conti's.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Shaun67 wrote:
    I’m looking for recommendations on what tubular tyres people are using and favouring ?

Not wanting to spend the earth, looking for a good all rounder if that is possible.

Thanks for the advice.

'Using and favouring' for what? Racing? General road riding?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My advice is stay with conventional tyres. I used tubs back in the day but conventional tyres are much easier to live with.

I flatted £120 worth of tubs on one memorable ride...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    conti sprinter taped on - perfect for everything and tape is a doddle to use, quicker, easier and cleaner than glue, quicker and easier than clincher/tube.

competitions as above also recommended.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    you need a very good reason to ride tubulars... they are all premium, all expensive, all pretty delicate and all difficult/expensive to repair
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    and all much nicer and more special and cooler than riding clincher or 《shudder》 tubeless.

apart from difficult/expensive to repair, none of the above are actually true

if ypu can't answer his question then save ypu comments for the eternal tubular vs whatever thread.

#its a state of mind
    #boonenridestubular
    #bePRO

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    you need a very good reason to ride tubulars... they are all premium, all expensive, all pretty delicate and all difficult/expensive to repair

Agree with the sentiment above. Save the tubulars for race days, as there's little benefit/difference for general road riding. Having said that, they are not all premium though - you can pick up some tubulars pretty cheap, like Conti Giro or Vittoria Rally. Cheap tubs are usually cheap for a reason though..
  • cycleclinic
    O don't find conti tubs unreliable though. He main benefit is you get to use light carbon rims. Also a conti tub does grip better than the clinchers.

If you have the wheels then go for it. If you are buying tubular wheels then why.

Tubs are not for race days. They are practical tyres but you need a tub habbit. Heroin is cheaper.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803

No they’re not.
    No they’re not.
    No they’re not.
    Sealant.
  • Matthewfalle
    over the years had far, far less problems with tubs than clinchers - and a Sprinter is basically the same price as a good clincher & tube.

#tub
    #BOONENusestubs
    #beBOONEN

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

No they’re not.
    No they’re not.
    No they’re not.
    Sealant.

If the sealant works, then great. If it doesn't, then you have a tyre that is only fit for the bin. A lot of tub repairers will not touch a tub which has had sealant in it. Four sets of tub wheels here and none have sealant in for that reason.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    yeah, i only use sealant if a tub is pretty well worn, with a new-ish one much prefer to fit a spare and repair it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Imposter wrote:

No they’re not.
    No they’re not.
    No they’re not.
    Sealant.

If the sealant works, then great. If it doesn't, then you have a tyre that is only fit for the bin. A lot of tub repairers will not touch a tub which has had sealant in it. Four sets of tub wheels here and none have sealant in for that reason.

I also have four sets of tub wheels and none of them have sealant in them either. If a tub can’t be fixed with modern sealant then it’s very likely the tyre that’s failed, which can’t be fixed.
  • imposter2.0
    I also have four sets of tub wheels and none of them have sealant in them either. If a tub can’t be fixed with modern sealant then it’s very likely the tyre that’s failed, which can’t be fixed.

That's not been my experience, unfortunately. I bought a s/h set of wheels a few years ago, which had tubs already fitted. One had a sealant repair. It started to blow out whenever it got over 70psi. The tub could have had a proper repair if it hadn't had sealant in it and it wouldn't have been binned.
  • cycleclinic
    edited April 2019
    I carry a Spare tub if I am riding on them. sealant is not needed as I have never found it to be a reliable fix either. Ruined fixable tubs with sealant, so never again.
  • clc2005
    clc2005 Posts: 186
    I had a set of Veloflex Corsa 23mm Tubulars - 1 slow puncture in 2.5k miles towards the end of life - sorted with sealant. Only removed the rear when I flat spotted exposing the casing in a tight moment on a single track road. Front was nearly pristine so left that on and fitted a new rear.

Tried Vittoria Corsa SC 25mm Tubulars. Same tread pattern as Veloflex but squared off after 500 miles and looked a lot worse than the Veloflex at 2k miles. Didn't feel as nice subjectively as the Veloflex either which was a surprise as they were 2mm wider.

I'm currently in the process of gluing up some Veloflex Arenberg 25mm which a basically wider versions of the Corsas.

I take 60g of sealant and a spare 20mm Tufo Tub which is light (160g) and folds up better than Tubulars of traditional construction.

I reckon in 10 years time a majority of us (90% plus) will be riding Aero Endurance Disc Brake Bikes with 30-32mm wide Tubeless Tyres at 55 psi out of necessity as the roads will be so bad.

Thanks Chris
  • I'd personally avoid tape. Yes, it's cleaner to install, but horrid when you do need to take a tub off IMO.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    conti sprinter taped on - perfect for everything and tape is a doddle to use, quicker, easier and cleaner than glue, quicker and easier than clincher/tube.

competitions as above also recommended.
    This
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd personally avoid tape. Yes, it's cleaner to install, but horrid when you do need to take a tub off IMO.

why? what are you doing?

mine peels off on the old tire so its easy to set fire to and throw into next door's garden

no stress, no mess.

#simples

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    There a ritual to gluing and vittoria maskit one is a very good glue. easy to apply and the bond is very secure. also a if you flat pull the old tub off and fit the pre glued spare. The bond is strong enough that you could leave that tub on. that why gluing is better.
  • Matthewfalle
    or just carry a pretaped tub in your pocket

yet another reason why taping is better

thank you for brininging that to the public's attention tonight.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    or - shock horror - carry a roll of tape in your pocket. size of a small roll of sellotape.

quicker than glue/clincher
    faster than glue/clincher
    cleaner than glue
    no pinch flats
    no hassle like clinchers
    no sealant everywhere like tubeless
    in fact none of the tubeless hassles that are on here once or twice a day

#don'tbescared
    #solksjaerusesclinchers
    #BOONENusetubs

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    Yes but tape is the work of the devil. I have not good experiences with tape.
    MF your a devil worshipper :wink:. You'll never catch me using tape. I worship the mastik one glue god.

I get more km out of a tubeless IRC tyre than can out of any tub. So for me tubs are not better.

It's the strength of the bond with glue and the the ease of fitting a spare and how secure it is is what keeps me on glue however it has to be mastik one. Continental and Clement tubasti are simply not as good at being glues. With conti glue you have to spend more time applying layers or the bond is simply not secure enough. The spare stuck on with conti glue is not secure enough either. Tubasti is a bit messy and is more difficult to apply evenly.

With tape some are better than others.
  • Matthewfalle
    that is what they call an extremely well balanced and rational post - good points well presented.

big het.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Veloflex Roubaix, got around 500 miles on a 25mm on the rear of my bike and still loads more to go, super smooth and plush, steer clear of the light weight 'records' from veloflex, only managed around a summer before being worn out, ridden clinchers for years and for my best sunday sunny ride bike I wouldn't go back to clinchers
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I always used tape with no problems. Used to rely on there being enough sticky on the rim to out a replacement tyre in in an emergency and take it easy going home. This doesn't work if you puncture in heavy rain...
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    I always used tape with no problems. Used to rely on there being enough sticky on the rim to out a replacement tyre in in an emergency and take it easy going home. This doesn't work if you puncture in heavy rain...

why? water doesn't affect adhesive properties.

#confused

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.