Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Tour & expedition

Mallorca in September? Organised tour or sort it myself

Thigh_burnThigh_burn Posts: 489
edited May 2019 in Tour & expedition
It looks like I'm going to be able to do c 3/4 days riding oversees in early / mid September.
I was thinking Mallorca as the weather would still be great, whereas the Alps might be more changeable.

I'm hoping to go with 2 or 3 friends, but there's a chance I may end up doing it alone if they bail. My question is, am I better off going with an organised group such as Sunvelo or Pro Cycle Hire, or should I just sort it out myself. The group setup is appealing as I'll be sure to get the best routes without the hassle. The downside is the potential dynamics of the group.

If anyone has any particular recommendations for good tour companies in Mallorca please let me know. I've seen good things about the two I've mentioned above, which is why I referenced them.

Posts

  • durhamwaspdurhamwasp Posts: 1,239
    We've done it ourselves a couple of times, really cheap and couldn't be easier.

    Cheap flights from the usual budget airlines, cheap accommodation from the likes of Booking/hotels/holidaygems, hire car to get from airport to resort and bike rental from any of a number of different options.

    You wont have any problems planning routes yourself, theres loads online, plus there aren't really that many roads you should avoid. We've stayed in Alcudia and found it perfect.

    Cycling paradise - looking at a trip there in October.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • cckingccking Posts: 1
    1st post so hi all.

    Do it yourself - it's so easy.

    I just got back last night, 3 days riding in lovely sunshine.

    We booked 4 nights in HSM lago Park apartments (we got 1 each as it was so cheap). Easy jet flight in on Friday night. Picked up hire car from airport. I used Vanrell and I recommend them highly. We got a fiat panda that was cheaper than a taxi. Hired our brand new Cannondale bikes from Bimont and spent 3 days riding around routes that I made up on strava. We had such a good time I'm thinking of repeating it again next year.
    Back at work now wishing I was still there. It's such a great place to ride and there are more cyclists there than you could shake a stick at.

    Total cost of trip £315 (flight, car hire,apartment each and bike hire) plus spending money.
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,424
    Do it yourself. It's really easy to find your way round and there's plenty of bike hire available all over the island.

    IMO Port de Soller is the best base. A lovely place which is a bit classier than Port de Pollenca. Gives you access to both the main Tramuntana climbs and the amazing road along the North coast. Excellent bike hire available from the bike shop in the town.
  • Port Soller for me also . Probably been 5 times. All booked via owners direct.com . Hired bikes in the town. Go Early up the main climbs to avoid coaches.
  • navrig2navrig2 Posts: 1,665
    Do it yourself. Mallorca is the easiest place to do this. Loads of flights, loads of bike hire, easy transfers and great roads with plenty of routes published on the web.
  • galatzogalatzo Posts: 1,295
    DIY
    Try the south of the island, Rad-International for Canyon bikes in Santa Ponsa, roads are much quieter down there IMO.
    Coast road from Andratx to Valdemossa is as good (better imo) as the Cap de Formentor lighthouse run in the north.
    First weekend in October for our lot 8) :D
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I echo the others here, do it yourself, it's dead easy.
    I'd personally recommend Pollenca over Port de Pollenca, it's a little less touristy and there's some nicer bars and restaurants.

    Port de Soller is also very good but if you want to do a flat, recovery ride one day it's trickier as it's basically surrounded by mountains.
  • crescentcrescent Posts: 1,088
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Port de Soller is also very good but if you want to do a flat, recovery ride one day it's trickier as it's basically surrounded by mountains.

    It is lovely, as is Soller, but totally agree about the lack of flat roads if you're looking for an easier day at some point. There are (I think) four main roads leading out of the town and they all go up hills. There is also an option of taking a boat to Sa Calobra and riding back. Granted, it's still uphill from the off but a nice change of starting point. Port de Pollensa just edges it for me as preferred base. I found the weather just a tad cooler and cloudier in Port de Soller, if that's an issue for you. It may just have been our luck but I suspect it was more down to location as PdP was scorching when I went through for the day.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Bianchi Impulso
    BMC Teammachine

    “When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
    Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • aberdeenalaberdeenal Posts: 200
    I've got a family holiday, in Pollenca, from 13th Oct this year and looking to hire a bike for 2 x days. I had earmarked Sa Calobra and Cap de Formentor but wasn't too sure whether to book with a "tour / guide company" or "go it alone" but from the replies above it seems alone is the way forward.

    Thanks @Thigh_Burn - saves me starting a new thread ;-)
  • crescentcrescent Posts: 1,088
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    I've got a family holiday, in Pollenca, from 13th Oct this year and looking to hire a bike for 2 x days. I had earmarked Sa Calobra and Cap de Formentor but wasn't too sure whether to book with a "tour / guide company" or "go it alone" but from the replies above it seems alone is the way forward.

    Thanks @Thigh_Burn - saves me starting a new thread ;-)

    Both routes are easily accessed from Pollensa, minimal navigation required. Top tip is go early in the morning and miss all the tourist buses. Possibly not an issue in October but still the best chance of quiet roads.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Bianchi Impulso
    BMC Teammachine

    “When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells
    Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • navrig2navrig2 Posts: 1,665
    Joe Totale wrote:

    I'd personally recommend Pollenca over Port de Pollenca, it's a little less touristy and there's some nicer bars and restaurants.

    I'd echo this. Whilst Port de Pollenca is not lager lout territory it is very busy with lots of tourists. Pollenca is generally quieter and the quality of bars and restaurants a bit better.
  • Thigh_burnThigh_burn Posts: 489
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

    I'd personally recommend Pollenca over Port de Pollenca, it's a little less touristy and there's some nicer bars and restaurants.

    I'd echo this. Whilst Port de Pollenca is not lager lout territory it is very busy with lots of tourists. Pollenca is generally quieter and the quality of bars and restaurants a bit better.

    Thanks for the tip. Any particular recommendations on bike shops to rent from?
  • joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

    I'd personally recommend Pollenca over Port de Pollenca, it's a little less touristy and there's some nicer bars and restaurants.

    I'd echo this. Whilst Port de Pollenca is not lager lout territory it is very busy with lots of tourists. Pollenca is generally quieter and the quality of bars and restaurants a bit better.

    Thanks for the tip. Any particular recommendations on bike shops to rent from?

    There's so many providers out there you may want to use one who stock a brand that you like.
    I found Bike Island Mallorca to be excellent, good service and the TCR I got was in excellent condition:

    https://www.bikeislandmallorca.com/en/

    I've also used Mallorca Bike Hire where I hired a Supersix that was pretty knackered, especially the tires. A friend of mine had to return his bike due to a dodgy crankset and rear wheel hub and they couldn't have been more grumpy about it. I wouldn't use them again.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 460
    Although everyone advises going it alone, and that is fine an organised group can be pleasant. I did spend a week with Sun Velo a few years ago and enjoyed it, they know where all the cafes are and the back roads and do try and split into ability groups.
    Having said that, if your happy to ride alone then doing it yourself is quite easy.
    Personally I wouldn't recommend Port de Soller as a base, lovely place but you are a bit more limited with routes than from Pollensa where you can choose mountains or flat or a combination.
    Everyone wants to ride Sa Collobra and if you do it then go early or else all the tour buses will possibly ruin the experience.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,813
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend Port de Soller as a base, lovely place but you are a bit more limited with routes than from Pollensa where you can choose mountains or flat or a combination.
    That would be a fair comment if only they weren't a mere 7km apart.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 460
    PBlakeney wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend Port de Soller as a base, lovely place but you are a bit more limited with routes than from Pollensa where you can choose mountains or flat or a combination.
    That would be a fair comment if only they weren't a mere 7km apart.

    I believe you may wish to re-think your comment, last time I checked Port de Soller and Pollensa were around 50kms apart with over 1300m of climbing.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,813
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend Port de Soller as a base, lovely place but you are a bit more limited with routes than from Pollensa where you can choose mountains or flat or a combination.
    That would be a fair comment if only they weren't a mere 7km apart.

    I believe you may wish to re-think your comment, last time I checked Port de Soller and Pollensa were around 50kms apart with over 1300m of climbing.
    I read it as Pollensa town v Port Pollensa and wholeheartedly retract my statement. :oops:
    I blame the cider....I will punish myself by going on a long cycle.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 460
    PBlakeney wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't recommend Port de Soller as a base, lovely place but you are a bit more limited with routes than from Pollensa where you can choose mountains or flat or a combination.
    That would be a fair comment if only they weren't a mere 7km apart.

    I believe you may wish to re-think your comment, last time I checked Port de Soller and Pollensa were around 50kms apart with over 1300m of climbing.
    I read it as Pollensa town v Port Pollensa and wholeheartedly retract my statement. :oops:
    I blame the cider....I will punish myself by going on a long cycle.

    Haha I reckon around 50kms and 1300m of ascent should atone :lol:
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 16,813
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Haha I reckon around 50kms and 1300m of ascent should atone :lol:
    Close.
    88kms, 1436m of ascent.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TiesetrotterTiesetrotter Posts: 432
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Although everyone advises going it alone, and that is fine an organised group can be pleasant. I did spend a week with Sun Velo a few years ago and enjoyed it, they know where all the cafes are and the back roads and do try and split into ability groups.
    Having said that, if your happy to ride alone then doing it yourself is quite easy.
    Personally I wouldn't recommend Port de Soller as a base, lovely place but you are a bit more limited with routes than from Pollensa where you can choose mountains or flat or a combination.
    Everyone wants to ride Sa Collobra and if you do it then go early or else all the tour buses will possibly ruin the experience.

    Agreed and they get discounts on bikes and hotels. If you do want a group experience then Sun Velo is great. If not as everyone says just about every route thinkable is on the route planners.
Sign In or Register to comment.